PDA

View Full Version : training in south africa....

Captain_djaffar
18th Sep 2007, 21:26
would be really pleased if anyone could explain to me the actual difference between having a SINGLE ENGINE COMMERCIAL With Multi-engine IR.......and a MULTI-ENGINE COMMERCIAL With Multi-engine license....(apart from knowing that more multi hour will be obviously logged and much more experience 'in the airline' way).

Do airlines or charters have more consequent favorable tendancy for MULTI-ENGINE COMMERCIAL With Multi-engine license holders or is it the same thing at the end for both type of license holders?

The thing is that i am on my go to flight training in SA...and have chosen 43AIR.
SINGLE ENGINE COMMERCIAL With Multi-engine IR would most suitably fit my tight budget.Wanna know if this money-wise decision wont affect my future career.

Many thanks for helping mates...

Flying Touareg
19th Sep 2007, 02:59
Capt Djaffar,

The Single Engine commercial with multi-ifr addon means that you will do the your training including the instrument rating in a single engine aircraft.After that, you will then get to do the multi engine rating and it comes with IR because you have to shoot instrument approaches also.

The Multi commercial means that you will do the IR training in a multi engine plane. In the US, FAA wise, you will also need to do a commercial single add on(optional, if u intend to fly single engine as a commercial pilot)

Now talking about differences, yes with the multi commercial you get more multi time and this is expensive.

Since you are on a tight budget, you can do the commercial single then later do the multi add on which is cheaper but you get Low multi time.

Whether airlines prefer more multi time or not, the answer is obvious.

I hope this helps but what i have explained is based on FAA. I do not really know how it works in SA but you will suely get a response from the SA guys around.

Goodluck

Captain_djaffar
19th Sep 2007, 12:44
thank you so much for your help...getting a clearer picture of it now.
So at the end it will be the same given that you undertake a multi-engine IR after your single engine commercial.
The only difference is more multi hours and more experience 'commercially' on twins if u do the multi comm but and also a more expensive way towards flying for rewards.
thank you mates...

Captain_djaffar
19th Sep 2007, 20:33
if i omit the IR for the moment and proceed with ppl,cpl,me & instructors rating...certainly it will cost me cheaper...but wont it be of too much disadvantage?bacause i am not a south african national and working as an instructor will be quite hard as far as i have heard...referring to the hard work permit delivrance to internationals.

Can you suggest any school in SA which you would consider most?
(in term of relationship with charters company or other pilot job nest companies areas which the school hold strong ties)

thank you for helping.
your advices are precious.thanks.

macc
30th Nov 2007, 13:33
In South Africa, the Commercial is a license and hence is not single or multi. A multi-engine rating is a rating and applies to the Instrument rating.

You can do a commercial pilots license on a single and at a later stage do the multi-engine rating on a twin - separate issues. As a commercial pilot you are entitled to fly on whatever you are rated on - no additional comm test required.

However the instrument rating done on a single means you are only entitled to fly IF on singles. To fly IF on twins you would have to do M/E IF training and a test or you could do the M/E IF right from the start.

Your first renewal would have to be on the M/E and then every second year you could renew on a single.

I hope this helps and doesnt create more confusion.:)

Thanks, that was just the information I was looking for. I also just had contact with 43 and I am probably going for the SINGLE ENGINE COMMERCIAL With Multi-engine IR option.

After that I am planning to head for Botswana/Namibia looking for work.

One question though. How did pilots who went to Botswana/Namibia keep their ME/IR valid? Because low time pilots only do VFR SE flying in those places for the first couple of years. Or did they just do a renewal after a couple of years?

And another question: 43 also offers CRM included in the price. Is CRM the same as MCC?

Thanks!

zapoi67
14th May 2008, 23:13
:)
A lot of questions unanswered... and they interest me as well.

Charliesjc
15th May 2008, 07:50
MCC isn't the same as CRM. At 43 in Crew Resource Management you sit in 'lectures' for 3 days being shown slides and what what what showing you what happens if you're an FO and you don't speak up to the Captain if you feel something's wrong etc etc.

Multi Crew Conversion is done on the simulator aptly named MCC, and as far as I know, you'd have to confirm it, you do 40 hours training in that with either the CI or the CFI. The SAA cadets do their 200 hours flying and multi engine training as well as the MCC course. Many of the regular students don't end up doing that.

50feet
17th May 2008, 08:25
The short answer is there is no other provider, 43 is the only CAA approved MCC course provider at the moment. You can phone and check with the CAA, last time I asked that was the answer I got!

cavortingcheetah
17th May 2008, 13:46
:hmm:

Perhaps these two links might provide interesting reading during those dark and lightless southern nights

http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/HomePage/Group/HelmreichLAB/Publications/pubfiles/Pub235.pdf

http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/library/u83482_3.pdf

:zzz: