PDA

View Full Version : Human Performance ATPL Question

DiamondRider
18th Sep 2007, 19:05
Good evening

I need some help with a couple of questions in my human performance and limitations books. I guess this good place to ask.:)

Here it goes:

Question 1
Who would run the largest risk of serious lung rupture during a sudden loss of cabin pressure (rapid decompression)
a) People suffering from lung cancer
b) People suffering from asthma
c) People suffering from extremely high blood pressure
d) Those that doesn't put on oxygen masks before they become unconsciuos.

Question 2
Typical for poor ergonomics in cockpit design are:
a) Blending of digital and analogue instruments
b) A large amount of standardisation produces a complacent crew
c) Similar liquid displays
d) The analogue system gives the pilot an easy appreciation

Nozwaldo
19th Sep 2007, 12:31
DiamondRider,

I would give (b) as the answer to question 1. This is due to mucous forming in the alveoli of asthma sufferers which can trap air at msl pressure, this will then expand on rapid decompression (Boyles Law) and possibly lead to lung rupture.
As for question 2, I'd answer (a).
Hope this helps.

Noz

matt85
19th Sep 2007, 12:56
Question 1. Probably B

Question 2. is so badly worded I dont have a clue. Probably C, maybe?? Similar displays for two instruments can perhaps lead to confusion between the two?

hollingworthp
19th Sep 2007, 16:53
For question 1 I would say C - higher than average blood pressure in the alveoli during decompression will give a steeper pressure gradient than people will normal BP so would be more likely to burst the vessels there.

I agree that Q2 is poorly worded but would go for C for the same reason as Matt.

DiamondRider
19th Sep 2007, 18:32
Hmmm

I'll go for B on question 1 and C on question 2 then:rolleyes:

Thanks

paco
20th Sep 2007, 01:32
As usual the people asking the questions don't give the whole story. For Question 1 it's more likely to be a). Secondary spontaneous pneumothorax, occurs in people who already have a lung disorder, such as cancer, where the diseased tissue is next to the pleura.

In the other answers, the air cannot get into the pleural space surrounding the lung.

I'd also go for a) in question 2. The assimilation of information from both types is different.

Phil

kiwi chick
20th Sep 2007, 01:49
I would have guessed c) for question one, but I've never looked at an ATPL text book in my life...

Just trying to be logical ?

Anyone know the answer for a fact?

KC :ok:

Baccalaris
21st Sep 2007, 12:07
i think the correct answer is "they word the questions quite badly"

redsnail
21st Sep 2007, 12:16
Don't know for Q1
but I'd go for Answer A in Q2. Different means of displaying the data which doesn't lend itself to ease of comprehension.