PDA

View Full Version : Phone Sockets/ Internet??

bishop99
18th Sep 2007, 11:41
Morning all,
Im just enquiring what the deal is with running a wireless internet box from a BT secondary phone socket, will it work? or will it cut out the main phone socket when in use?
At the moment my wireless box is connected by a long phone line into a splitter and finally into the main BT socket, i trying to get rid of all the wires, and leave my box in a suitable location!! :)
I have ADSL running into the house aswel, although not actually being used, is it worth using that, can it go wireless? or just stay using my normal BT phone line? I dont really no the difference between the 2, if im honest?:confused:
I hope my grammar is up to standard, i do apoligise if it is not.
Any help would be grateful
Bishop99

Background Noise
18th Sep 2007, 12:31
Are you saying that you are using dial-up when you have ADSL available??

Either way however, I think you can plug your wireless router in anywhere - well at least there's no harm in trying it. My ADSL/broadband wireless router is connected into a BT wall socket in my 'study' (a bedroom) which I wired in myself as an extension from a pre-installed socket in the main bedroom which is itself an extension from the main incoming BT box in the lounge.

And no, it doesn't cut anything else out.

MB27
18th Sep 2007, 12:43
Hope i've understood correctly.

I have the wireless box running off of a secondary splitter and it's fine.

So 1st splitter splits to telephone and 2nd, 2nd splits to telephone and box..

:ok:

(But do have filters on all phones and box..)

Devlin Carnet
18th Sep 2007, 12:48
You have ADSL and you dont use it?
I'm a tad confused.
Use the ADSL through a filter, you can use the internet and the phone at the same time.
I think there is a bit more to this though.

bishop99
18th Sep 2007, 13:39
Cheers for answers, sorry about any confusion.

Im running broadband at the moment - is there a difference between ADSL and broadband?? (or am i being stupid?).

I dont think there are any filters??

i do apoligise if this is also confusing.

Cheers J

Background Noise
18th Sep 2007, 15:17
You should have a microfilter between your wireless modem/router and the phone socket like this
http://www.primusbroadband.co.uk/images/microfilter_diagram.gif
Actually you are supposed to have a filter for evry phone to filter out the ADSL bit from your phone.
http://ssl128bit.net/helpfiles/ecatalogue/correct.gif
Are you finding you can't use your phone when you are broadbanding.
Yes ADSL is the same as broadband.

bishop99
18th Sep 2007, 15:43
I think everything has finely come clear :}

Cheers for all your Help.

Bishop99

Saab Dastard
18th Sep 2007, 15:53
Background Noise,

Thanks for the pictures - worth a 1000 kilobytes of text!

SD

spannersatcx
18th Sep 2007, 17:50
You can now get the master socket with inbuilt filter which does away with the need for micro filters. has 2 sockets on one for phone one for internet. Had problems a while back and the engineer kindly installed it.

asmccuk
21st Sep 2007, 07:13
One of my microfilters (out of four installed in the house) seems to have failed this week.
Problem noted when all calls in gave engaged BT1571 answer immediately, and calling out was not possible. But the computer broadband connection did work!
By checking each of the microfilters I found that the one in the kitchen was the culprit and the telephone worked when that one was removed. But then the broadband connection would not work!
Luckily I had a spare microfilter to install and now all is serviceable again.
Has anyone else had this problem?

green granite
21st Sep 2007, 07:26
No, but I did have an interesting one a while ago. Every time the phone rang, or the receiver was picked up, the internet connection was dropped, (adsl) turned out to be a bad connection at the pole outside.