PDA

View Full Version : Sigh of a Merlin- but at what cost ?

Randomtox
18th Sep 2007, 11:23
A slightly off the wall question - but can anybody give me a rough idea as to how much a crated, still wrapped in oiled leather, new RR Merlin (or Griffon) engine would be worth ?
Is there a broad market for these or is it a very, very niche market that doesn't obey the normal laws of supply and demand !
Views appreciated !
Random

Kitbag
18th Sep 2007, 12:02
As always it depends- mark, usage, completeness, supporting documentation etc.

If you have one I'll take it of your hands for £25, I doubt you'll get a better offer :E

tristar 500
18th Sep 2007, 12:44
As always it depends- mark, usage, completeness, supporting documentation etc.

If you have one I'll take it of your hands for £25, I doubt you'll get a better offer

I will double the offer & come & collect!!!

Tristar 500.

Randomtox
18th Sep 2007, 12:57
Thanks for the offers - methinks it might be worth a bit more then £25!
Seriously - how much do these things go for ? Are they relatively easy to acquire or are they the proverbial hens teeth ?

Should have mentioned originally - not used...at all - still in its crate from RR

Kitbag
18th Sep 2007, 13:29
See here http://www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/Default.aspx?page=1196 2004 auction. No idea of the engines condition, but if it is as you describe its probably worth a few quid. I'll go to £75, collect and let you have some Luncheon Vouchers as a sweetener. Not bad to take it off your hands and clear a bit of space for you. Can't say fairer than that guv:8

Bullethead
18th Sep 2007, 13:43
You want to talk to the guys who race at Reno. I'm sure they could use a Merlin if you've got one cluttering up your garage.

Regards,
BH.

NutLoose
18th Sep 2007, 14:56
It will need overhauling regardless of storage conditions, last one I saw that was a core for overhaul, I.E had been remvoed from an aircraft time ex and was being offered for £17,000 on ebay with no takers...... looked but the link is dead... Do you know what it is exactly mark and model, the merlin is about 1/2 the size of a Griffon, I could find out for you if you want as I have friends maintain one.

Incidentally if you do have one see

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070809215247AAjUL9z

bear in mind the prices here are quoted in 2005... see link below

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=50487

WOTME?
18th Sep 2007, 18:45
There's a company at Kemble that maintains these engines for the RAF historical people.I can probably get some sort of contact details if you want.

Randomtox
18th Sep 2007, 19:38
Thanks - but please don't go to any extra effort at the moment. The infromation provided so far has proved very useful !

cheers
Random

NutLoose
19th Sep 2007, 18:25
To late Asked some questions for you at work today.

Ok here goes, rough guide to the prices you could expect...

A Griffon 58 (Most common)

Contra rotation Prop

In Box "0" timed with Log Book

£20,000 to £25,000

Without Logbook

£20,000 down.

Griffon 60 series (Single Prop rarer)

Time Ex (500 Hrs) I.E just out of a flyer with Logbook

£20,000

"0" timed in box with logbook

£30,000 to £35,000

Griffon Ready to Go overhauled with paperwork

£120,000

Merlin approximately the same as the above prices...

Griffon has the cam drives on the front of the engine, the Merlin on the rear..... These are like cast tubes on the case running up to the rocker housings.........

Data plate giving model etc on right side of Griffon crankcases.......... Left on Merlin....

Hope these help, now lets see a picture :} ;)

NutLoose
19th Sep 2007, 18:48
Here is a picture I took that shows you the cam drive location on the Griffon 58 ( it has been converted to a single prop drive for the Rolls Royce Mk 19.......... picture my copyright etc.

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/donno2006/drive.jpg

Randomtox
20th Sep 2007, 08:04
Thanks for that! Very useful. Pictures....no pictures at the moment...but the above info may lead to some !
cheers
random

NutLoose
20th Sep 2007, 21:03
No prob, the Griffon is popular with the tractor pulling fraternity so that's why they hold a good price :)

Mark Nine
21st Sep 2007, 15:44
I remember going to a surplus yard, out in the sticks somewhere in South Lincolnshire in the late 80's/early 90's, (can't remember why though). There in the corner, was a huge pile of Griffon engines, all with scrap labels and holes neatly punched in the casing to prevent any further use. At the time, being a teenager I thought nothing of it. But now, I could cry and wish I had bought the lot!
Presumably the engines were from the Shackleton fleet. If anybody knows the location of the yard, please let me know so I can revisit :ok:

NutLoose
2nd Oct 2007, 12:25
Someone I know was talking to the owner of a well known company at the time as they retired the last Merlin powered passsenger aircraft, they had a large stock of boxed zero timed Merlins and he mentioned, you want to keep hold of those, they will be worth something in the future.... "naa was the answer, can't see it myself, they were scrapped..... if only he knew :ugh:

682al
2nd Oct 2007, 14:24
I remember going to a surplus yard, out in the sticks somewhere in South Lincolnshire in the late 80's/early 90's
You might be thinking of Jackson's, at the Old Rocket Site, Misson, Notts. I visited there some years before you and can recall a pile of Shackleton rear fuselages, and maybe a few nose sections, too.
They were (and still are) mainly dealers in ex military vehicles.