PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

Mogsy23
17th Sep 2007, 14:39
Hi guys,

A little background about me is that I'm 26 years old, I've got 10 GCSEs, 3 A Levels (Geography, Maths, Economics), a BA in Business and Accounting and an MSc in International Management. After i finished university 3 years ago I went into our family property rental business, as good as this is I've decided that I don't want to spend the rest of my life doing it, and i'm looking into training as a pilot.

I seem to have found some bits of conflicting information on the internet and was wondering if you could help me out. I was wondering if anybody could give me a simple, step by step guide of the process I would need to go through to qualify? If i decide to go ahead with it then I would want to get on with it all and try and get the relevant qualifications ASAP, what schools would any of you recommend/advise against? My final question is that I've heard that it may be cheaper to train abroad, either in the USA or in Australia, is there any truth in this and if i were to train abroad would all my qualifications be valid in the UK?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure some of this has been asked before, but i'd really appreciate any advice you guys could give me.

Mogs

Wee Weasley Welshman
17th Sep 2007, 14:57
www.balpa.org.uk

Mogsy23
17th Sep 2007, 17:38
One more thing i forgot to mention. If i do go ahead and put myself through flight school, it's obviously a huge investment, I was wondering how many jobs there are out there for pilots currently? be it small private jets, or large commercial airliners.

kate140983
18th Sep 2007, 12:35
Do you have to have a levels or can you train to be a pilot with just GCSE'S?? And without having to pay so much money

Mercenary Pilot
18th Sep 2007, 12:40
Technically, you don't need any formal qualifications to be a pilot but if you want to get some form of sponsorship (hence not paying so much money) then you will be expected to have at least 2 'A' levels to be considered.

Adam_V
18th Sep 2007, 13:09
www.waaviationcollege.com.au

then browse through the JAA section.

hope this helps.