PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade probs Office 2007

homesick rae
17th Sep 2007, 13:34
Hi there,

Recently acquired a laptop, ACER Extensa 5124 but it appears to be old stock as it has no Microsoft programmes on it at all!? I have installed Works then have tried to upgrade Office 2007 and it has stopped almost halfway saying " Cannot find a valid standard.WW\standardrWW.msi.."

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

HR

Saab Dastard
17th Sep 2007, 14:38
appears to be old stock as it has no Microsoft programmes on it at all

Why should it be old stock just because there are no MS programs on it?

You get what you pay for!

If you can legitimately install MS Works and have a legitimate upgrade license to subsequently install Office 2007, then you can legitimately contact MS support for assistance.

However, there is NO upgrade path to Office 2007 Standard and above (other than from a qualifying copy of a previous version of Office), and there is NO upgrade path to Office Home and Student 2007.

So it looks like you will have to rethink your approach.

You can download evaluation copies of Office 2007 (various flavours) from MS. These have a defined expiry period, after which you have to fork out for the appropriate license.

You can also download Star Office / Open Office for Windows as well as Linux. These are free.

homesick rae
17th Sep 2007, 15:38
Saab,

Thanks for the info.

I did not purchase the laptop...it was purchased for me.

Quite happy to stick with Works for the time being whilst I consider other options.

The reason I mentioned old stock is that is what some of the Staples staff thought too!

The item itself has good battery life, good memory which I both need!

Hey ho..

Cheers

HR