PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 vs Kidney Donation

Inspector Clouseau
17th Sep 2007, 08:46
Ladies & Gents,
Anyone know the present situ. with Kidney donation vs Class1 medicals?
I'm operating flight deck and a member of my family has just been diagnosed as having kidney failure. I would therefore like to be in a position to donate, as 'live donors' especially family members are ideal candidates. I phoned the CAA, but didn't find them helpful, merely asking me to write in with further 'details'!!? Surely, isn't there any difference from one kidney donation to the next, i.e. if someone else has done it then so can I?
Thanks in advance.

slim_slag
17th Sep 2007, 10:18
It's a major operation and will obviously make you unfit to fly until after you have recovered. Your life expectancy after the donation isn't going to change, so I cannot see any reason why you should have a problem in the medium to long term.

nurjio
17th Sep 2007, 16:23
IC, I applaud your willingness to help your family, my brother stepped up to the plate to do the same after I was diagnosed with 'rotting kidneys' way back in 1983. As it happened I only lost one of them and went on to fly Harriers and even joined the Red Arrows for 3 years all on one kidney. I left the Mob in '98 and joined BA on 747s. Not once have I had problems passing medicals with one kidney. (Having said that I'm off flying at the moment with an overactive thyroid, but that has nowt to do with kidneys!). I have a command course in January on the 'bus, and hope to drag my single kidney succesfully through the course - thyroid permitting,
During my Red Arows days, another team member had prevously lost a testicle in a motorbike crash. The manager would announce 'Ladies and Gentleman, I give you the Red Arrows, 17 kidneys and 17 balls flying in tight formation!' :)

Edited to say:

Most importantly IC, I was off flying for just 3 months from knife to be being back flying Hawks at Brawdy during my Tac weapons training.

Inspector Clouseau
17th Sep 2007, 17:41
Nurjio,
Mucho obliged for the useful gen., if rather amusing. Was at A1 @ JSY on Sat to see the Reds take off in formation, nice!
A bit concerned about the recovery period though; I planned on <month. Think I'll do it the day after my OPC!
Good luck with the Command.
Regards

nurjio
17th Sep 2007, 20:05
IC, I've just been reminded by the wife - the reason I was off for 3 months was due to complications arising from the op. The surgeon nicked my thoracic cavity on sewing up and gave me a right lung pneumothorax. It was this that took the time to heal and prevented me from flying.
Cheers, nurj.
Keep us posted on your sitch. :}

modified to add:

Ah, Jersey. L'orizon, champagne, oysters, more champagne, Awesome.

NG ExPat
24th Sep 2007, 10:45
IC, I would have to say do it if you can. The recovery period for the donor is at times longer than that of the one who receives the Kidney. I have first hand knowledge of this, since last October, my wife donated one of her Kidneys to me. In May of this year, the FAA reissued my 1st Class Medical. I had to jump through a lot of hoops, and will continue to have to do so for the remainder of my career.

So in my personal opinion, you should not have a problem getting certified medically.

Vee One...Rotate
13th Oct 2007, 10:00
For what it's worth, there are (and I was quite surprised by this!) two students at my flight school who are missing a kidney and they've both got Class I medicals and are in the process of training to become commercial pilots.

V1R :ok: