PDA

View Full Version : Linspire

Miserlou
16th Sep 2007, 17:01
Hi,
I think I've sold myself on buying Linspire 6 as OS for my laptop having spent one and a half days failing to get MS windows home edition and Prof. to work on it again.
I downloaded Linspire 5.0 (free version) and got it running fairly normally within half an hour of starting.

Does anyone here use Linspire or Win4lin or have any experience of it?

Thanks.

Saab Dastard
16th Sep 2007, 18:37
Miserlou,

$50 is not much, and if it gives you what you want / need (including confidence!), then why not go for it.

Bear in mind that it is basically Ubuntu with a wrapper - some of which is open source, some proprietary - so you could try Ubuntu or KUbuntu for nothing and see if you really need the Linspire add-ons.

I have not personal experience of it myself, but I would encourage anyone to explore non-MS as a matter of principle!

SD

Miserlou
16th Sep 2007, 19:21
It is the wife who uses the laptop most and needs MS Publisher. This should work with Linspire through Win4Lin.

She was relatively easy to convince when I adopted Mozilla for email and browser.

Saab Dastard
16th Sep 2007, 21:45
needs MS Publisher

??

Are there not opensource / shareware / freeware alternatives that are actually better as well as cheaper?

I appreciate learning curves etc. but it does seem odd to want to run MS Publisher on a Windows emulator!

SD

Miserlou
17th Sep 2007, 14:54
There probably are but I haven\t got that far yet. Tempted by Star Office but will research further before paying for anything.

I\ll report back with experiences when I get through the installation.
Thanks for your interest, Saab.