PDA

View Full Version : London to Christchurch 1953 Air Race - Ditching of Mosquito VH-KLG

Tee Emm
16th Sep 2007, 13:36
In 1953 a De Havilland Mosquito (Australian registered VH-KLG) ran out of fuel and was forced to ditch adjacent to a island in the Bay of Bengal. The crew were flying from Australia to England to take part in the London to Christchurch Air Race. The pilot was Aubrey "Titus" Oates DFC and his navigator - also a pilot - was Douglas Swain DFC. Both survived the ditching unhurt and were rescued.

I would be most grateful for the full story of why the Mosquito became lost - although I remember hearing about monsoonal weather at the time.
I knew Doug Swain very well. His son Richard Swain, a small boy at the time, is also very keen to find out more of this particular adventure.

Tragically, Doug Swain lost his life several months later, when the Lockheed Hudson he was flying crashed near Dungog, New South Wales in Australia. Aubrey Oates passed away a few years ago.

Any information on the circumstances of the Bay of Bengal ditching, would be appreciated.

harryorb
4th Jan 2011, 05:02
my father , aubrey oates told me they simply miscalculated the nav and got lost.

and the weather made it more difficult too.

but whether it was more his fault or dougs is hard to say

Warmtoast
4th Jan 2011, 20:45
The ditching was mentioned in the papers at the time as this UK press cutting shows:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/PressReport.jpg