PDA

View Full Version : Hip Replacement?

proflyer9
16th Sep 2007, 12:47
Hi.
Will a hip replacement surgery for a young chap, render him from flying commercially? He is already in the Airlines, and fears that he would be put medically down when he goes for his Class 1 renewal. Although the docs say he will be fit as any other pilot or runner.

Bob the Doc
16th Sep 2007, 19:07
Don't see why it should as long as recovery is complete and no dislocation

arrow1
8th Oct 2007, 13:39
Suppose it is a question of the range of motion. BTW, does anyone know of commercial pilots with hip replacements?

cavortingcheetah
8th Oct 2007, 14:45
:hmm:

Do you really mean a hip replacement or are you euphemistically referring to a procedure such as a Birmingham resurfacing?
In any event, here is a Class 1 medical holder who has had just such a replacement. As those who were at the recent Gatbash will tell you, such an operation has made no difference to the incisiveness of the mind nor the beauty and various talents of the body in question.
Mind you though, lesser mortals might find the operation just a trifle daunting.
Always open to pms on the subject because, in all seriousness for a moment here, it is a big operation and it does have an element of the irreversible about it.:)

arrow1
10th Oct 2007, 10:56
Good to hear that cavortingcheetah. Please check your pm

cavortingcheetah
10th Oct 2007, 15:19
:)

Likewise and the best of luck to you.
:cool:

gingernut
10th Oct 2007, 20:19
I guess the first question to ask is, how young is young?

Complications aside, (which are few), most hip replaced patients usually move and function better than they previously did.

I'm told that the operation is simpler than a knee replacement, but I'm afraid I'm no expert.:)

I'd have no qualms flying on an aircraft piloted by such patients, but as usual check with your ame etc etc.