PDA

View Full Version : No GPS coverage yesterday

modelman
16th Sep 2007, 08:49
Flying back from Swansea to Cov yesterday at about 17:30 local all 3 GPS's stopped receiving a signal o/h Newport and never came back for the rest of the flight (about another 50mins).So that's the on board GNS430,my mates Lowrance and my GPSMAP195 both with independent remote antennas.My lad dubbed it the 'Newport Triangle'.:)
(of course called a Mayday,dialled in 121.5 etc;))
Anyone else have any probs?

Never had ( in my limited exp) any GPS dropout before.

p.s.Great day for flying and super display from the Arrows.

MM

Fuji Abound
16th Sep 2007, 09:20
Did you check the NOTAMS?

What about the RAIM prediction?

coodem
16th Sep 2007, 12:47
And what frequancies were you tuned into, including standbye?

gcolyer
16th Sep 2007, 17:05
Well I had a similar thing to day routing from Shobdon to Filton. And yes for once I had a GPS.

Overhead D147 and D216 wich is the Satellite dishes and SAS camp near Hereford my GPS decided to point almost 90 degree west of my intended direction and my mag compass went mental telling me to go almost 90 degrees east of my intended direction. Once I was over Monmouth town everything went back to normal.

modelman
16th Sep 2007, 17:47
Yes,I did check the NOTAMS and respected the RAT ref the Arrows,please tell me more about the RAIM stuff.

Don't understand the relevance of the the frequencies I was tuned into (but I am hoping to learn something here)spoke to Swansea,Cardiff Radar,Bristol,Glos App,Coventry Radar and was using the BCN VOR.

With my low hours,I still have tons to learn so sage advice eagerly awaited.

MM

Skypartners
16th Sep 2007, 18:01
Yep - had numerous weird GPS things happen in Wales, particularly flying South. My G430's show aircraft as being left of track for about 60 miles between Monmouthshire and Swansea at a zoom range anywhere under 10 miles. Overlaid on Avidyne MFD the error is less noticeable. Thought it was just me.

tonker
16th Sep 2007, 18:40
So you were near Hereford and the special comms section on the Malverns.......:\

Fuji Abound
16th Sep 2007, 19:08
http://augur.ecacnav.com/npa.html

Take a look here.

Well worth a check before any flight if you are "relying" on GPS, particularly for an approach. I am not certain how to get historical data so I cant comment on the period in question.

coodem
16th Sep 2007, 20:12
Next time you are in the area, try de selecting Swansea 119.70. The 119 frequencies seem to cause interferance with GPS, expectially portable devices, See the below thread, there are several other threads on this topic http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=287660

modelman
16th Sep 2007, 20:14
Thanks Fuji,useful site.
MM

strake
17th Sep 2007, 08:25
It's them wot does it I tell you...them...mutter mutter