PDA

View Full Version : Spine Problems will it affect the Class 1 Medical

bluefeatherfly
16th Sep 2007, 05:09
Good Day everybody,

I'm a newbie and I would like to ask if my plan to join the aviation will be affedted if I have moderate scoliosis.

I have 24 degrees dextroscoliosis and 12 degrees levoscoliois?

I really want to join the aviation industry but with my condition.
Do you think I'm still qualified?

Do you know any websites where I can verify or review what types of examinations on Class 1 or even Class 2?

Thank you everybody and looking forward to your response.

aviationascent
17th Sep 2007, 07:16
dont know if this helps but i was diagnosed with Scheurmanns ( spelling) disease at 14. i don't get symptoms or backpain anymore. i just went for my class one med and failed due to a heart condition that i have just had surgery to fix. nothing was mentioned about my back though. that said, i'm not sure i mentioned it :oh:.:O

Jump Complete
19th Sep 2007, 14:06
bluefeatherfly:
I have scoliosis and hold a class one medical. I can't remember the figures but my spine was getting pretty bad before they did the opp at 13 (in 1989) (Prior to the opp from the age of 9 I wore scotch-cast vests to hold the back straight; if the opp is down too early it stunts growth.) I have a permnement rod in my spine.
I also had neuro-fibromatosis (don't know if that is the right spelling) which in my case meant my lower right leg was bent and thin. I had a bone graph operation at 18 months.
Both these operations were very successful and I have no practical problems with them.
When I went for my initial class one, I had already been flying gliders for two years so I knew I was physically capable of flying an aircraft. My attitude, which may have been a tad arrogant, was "My back and my leg history is irrelevent, test my heart and eyesight like everyone else and give me the medical."
CAA Medical at Gatwick were a bit suprised at the information I put on the form and asked why I hadn't told them about it before coming.
I said "If I told you in a letter that I had neuro-fibro matiosis on the lower right leg and had had a bone-graph operation at eighteen months, and had to wear a calaper until I was 10, and that I had scoliosis, and had a double-spinal fusion operation at 13, it makes me sound like a cripple. I wanted you to see that I'm strong and healthy and that it doesn't effect me."
The funny thing was, in the end it wasn't the back that was the issue so much as the neuro-fibro matosis. Although it caused a problem with my leg, if it had deformed the inside of the skull it can cause epilepsy. So I had to have an EEG (at the time only required normally for helicopter pilots.) They then gave me a class 2 (At the time a class 1 was for commercial transport, class 2 for instructors etc and class 3 for PPLs) After 2 years I contacted them again to request another test to ungrade to class 1. They wrote back saying they were 'Assessing the risks' which I did not like the sound of, and was preparing for a fight. A month later, however, I received a letter saying that as far as they were concerned, any extra risk was negliable and I could just get a standard class on renewal at a local AME.
I did have one further issue at my last ECG. It may have been because of my back or just because I'm fairly small anyway giving a false reading but the ECG trace showed what looked like thickening of the heart wall. I had to go to Papworth hospital and get (all at my own expense, through a private consultant 'acceptable' to the CAA). I had a ultrasound which proved that there is nothing wrong with my heart. Thank god it wasn't back in the days they couldn't do that sort of thing, I probably would have been grounded.
Anyway; there you have it, it is possible. I don't know your individual situation and if there is something that you haven't mentioned (eg, do you get back pain a lot; I'm lucky, I don't) it may tip the balance. But if you're determined and you have the attitude that it doesn't make any difference (and that means either way) then you should be able to do it.
Finally; after struggling for years like everyone else to land the first real job (having been dropping skydivers for the last 5) I have just been accepted with a small UK regional airline flying turbo-props!
PS, if you want to talk to me about it for advice etc, PM me with your number and I will get in touch.

bluefeatherfly
20th Sep 2007, 13:56
Actually I really didn't know that I have scoliosis until I have my Spine X-ray"ed".

I'm already 22 and I never feel any back pain :-)

I'm just in the process of joining the aviation industry so that is why I wanted to know if I'm Physically Fit for the job :-)