PDA

View Full Version : preflight....wing struts?

draccent
15th Sep 2007, 20:13
How do I actually check these? Ive always just grabbed them and shook really hard. If I hear no rattle or feel no give I figure they are ok. Is this correct? How do you check your struts? And is it true that if the nose wheel strut is more than 3 fingers extended its ok? I know from line that if the scissors are pretty much bottomed out its a problem...but whats the general rule on that? Thanks!

kevmusic
16th Sep 2007, 00:28
With regard to struts, what you do is good but check the nuts & wire locking at every point. What aircraft do you fly?

Kev.

POBJOY
16th Sep 2007, 01:15
make sure you have the same number on both wings!!

Cusco
16th Sep 2007, 08:56
Doesn't the POH and/or the a/c checklist have any details?

Cusco (flyer of strut - less aeroplane, but the Jesus nut on the anti servo tab on the stabilator gets my undivided attention););)

sternone
16th Sep 2007, 09:00
Please use a ladder before you say it's crap.

SkyHawk-N
16th Sep 2007, 11:00
How do I actually check these? Ive always just grabbed them and shook really hard. If I hear no rattle or feel no give I figure they are ok. Is this correct? How do you check your struts?

- Does it have two wing struts? Yes? Ok then.

- Are the wing struts connected to the wings? Yes? Ok then.

- Are the other ends of the struts connected to the fuselage? Yes? Ok then.

- Have a small pull of the struts. Do they move? No? Ok then.

And is it true that if the nose wheel strut is more than 3 fingers extended its ok? I know from line that if the scissors are pretty much bottomed out its a problem...but whats the general rule on that? Thanks!

- Nose strut should be extended 3 or 4 fingers height as a guideline.

- Some compress the strut by pulling down on the root of the prop while blocking the nose wheel with their foot. The rebound can then be checked for smoothness.

bjornhall
16th Sep 2007, 11:14
FWIW, re: wing struts, I was taught to check the strut fairings for cracks as well, on the idea that such could indicate something wrong with the structure... Not sure if that makes sense, but why not... Same thing with the main gear struts, since cracked fairings there could indicate overstress from a hard landing (fairings cracked by excessive flexing).

Re: nose wheel, was also taught to check for the presence of all necessary bolts (that's not in the POH). Bolt comes off during landing -> gear stays attached due to weight on wheel -> not spotted during preflight -> rotate -> you take off, your nose gear does not... :sad:
Has happened.

SkyHawk-N
16th Sep 2007, 12:53
FWIW, re: wing struts, I was taught to check the strut fairings for cracks as well, on the idea that such could indicate something wrong with the structure... Not sure if that makes sense, but why not... Same thing with the main gear struts, since cracked fairings there could indicate overstress from a hard landing (fairings cracked by excessive flexing).

I suppose it doesn't hurt, but cracks will probably happen under the strut fairings where they are fixed to the wing or fuselage. Cracked fairings are usually a sign of age (brittleness), most older Cessnas you see have cracked fairings as they are so expensive to buy and a pain to install.

MSP Aviation
17th Sep 2007, 00:17
Ditto the fairings. Always check the plastic fairings on either end. I suppose these coming off in flight couldn't do much damage, but there's always that one-in-a-zillion moneyshot (perhaps the starboard, lower fairing comes off and clips the trim rod on a 152).

djpil
17th Sep 2007, 02:14
daily inspection for the 8KCAB includes checking strut drain holes