PDA

View Full Version : Good ol' Pakistan!

Amateur Turbines
19th Dec 2001, 03:44
I have been approached by my company to fly in Pakistan for a relatively short term (5wk - 3mth rotations). I am curious if any one has had the opportunity to fly in that part of the world. If not, then what do you think of the idea of flying there right now.

Some details that I know: Would be based in Islamabad. Attractive US salary. Flying into northern Pakistan and possibly parts of Afganistan(Kabul etc). Housing is also taken care of.

I'm currently flying for a regional carrier in British Columbia, Canada.

polzin
19th Dec 2001, 04:51
Ive heard you can the difference between a Canadian backpacker and a American backpacker. The Canadian has a 3by5 inch Canadian flag on his backpack. The American has a 4by6 inch Canadian flag on his backpack. Suggest having a 3by5 on everything you own if you decide to go. Who owns the airplane? Who is going to do the maintainence? Where are they going to get parts? How desperate are You?

I am now Y2 compliant!

Brenoch
19th Dec 2001, 05:17
Just to sort things out, there´s nothing good and nothing old about pakistan..
I recon you´ll be flying for U.N.M.O.G.I.P. (United.Nations.Military.Observer.Group.India.Pakistan.)
It´s a good outfit, atleast it was when I was down there (I was with U.N.O.C.H.A and U.N.S.P.E.C).. They had our engineers working on the craft and it was always spick and spam..

It has been a few years but if you are not frightened by AAA I recommend you to go..

Btw. Chicks love it when you get back (in one piece) with the lightblue beret and quite a few medals on your chest.. :D :D :D

[ 19 December 2001: Message edited by: Brenoch ]

Amateur Turbines
19th Dec 2001, 09:19
I've already sewn on the 3by5's! I've also heard that Canadians generally are thought of as fairly neutral in that part of the world! Also told that the northern part of Pakistan is just about the most beautiful place on earth. K2 peaks at something like FL280.
One of the really great things about this contract is that we bring our own maint.
:D

Turboboy
19th Dec 2001, 12:12
Hi all,
I am looking at doing similair type of UN sanctioned type work.I would be interested in any information or contacts that you could give me.
Thanks

LimaNovember
19th Dec 2001, 13:44
Amateur Turbines,

Go for it. I did a ICRC contract in 1989 based in Peshawar flying to Afghanistan. This was when the Sovjet Union pulled out of Afghanistan. If you want to do something meaningful with your pilot licence, this kind of assignement is what you want to do.
If I would get the chance to do it again, would I do it? Yes.

Billy the Kid
19th Dec 2001, 15:25
How do you sign up for this type of work. BTW I'm european.

many thanks

The Kid

lumbalund
21st Dec 2001, 00:00
I would suggest that you go for it,I am from that part of the world and if you are going to be based in Islamabad you are not going to regret it, its a beautiful city and while I was living there flying the F-27 I loved every minute of it.You are right about the flying its the most exciting flying you will ever do in your life and some thing to tell your grandchildren about.Come over and see Pakistan you will love IT .The triple A is however entirley your problum.Good luck.

Amateur Turbines
22nd Dec 2001, 11:25
Along with the 3by5's I've also started cutting up the tinfoil(chaff) for any bad predicaments. I've told my employer now that I am more than willing to help in any way I can to get things going over there.
Thanks for all your input, and I hope we meet under the sunny skies of Good ol' Pakistan!