PDA

View Full Version : WW2 RAF pilot training numbers info?

airborne_artist
15th Sep 2007, 07:49
Read this phrase on a BBC report about a Tiger Moth that force-landed recently:

"During the Second World War, most RAF pilots carried out their elementary flying training in a Tiger Moth. "

Given the numbers who trained abroad, is this in fact correct. Are there reliable stats on how many trained where?

henry crun
15th Sep 2007, 08:36
I have not seen any stats, but the Tiger was the main primary trainer in Rhodesia.
It was also used in Canada, but I have a feeling other types were used there.

Many pilots were trained on other aircraft in the USA, but how many in relation to total numbers, who knows ?

StbdD
15th Sep 2007, 11:48
While I'm sure the stats exist I don't recall having seen them. There were at least 14 civilian contracted flight schools in the US which conducted RAF flight training so the number trained on aircraft other than the Tiger Moth could be quite high.

If interested more generally in the topic I can recommend these books:

'The Royal Air Force in Texas' by Killebrew
'RAF Wings Over Florida' by Largent

Saab Dastard
15th Sep 2007, 13:05
This is only one airfield, but certainly supports the claim.

Fairoaks airport was an RAF training station from 1937, hosting No. 18 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School with DH Tiger Moths run by Universal Flying Services. 9/39, Combined with No. 19 E&RFTS from Gatwick and renamed Elementary Flying Training School.

I believe it was also a repair centre for training and other aircraft.

Having trained there recently for my PPL, I have found a little of the history!

SD

stevef
15th Sep 2007, 14:11
The RAF output from all American schemes (Arnold, Towers, Pan-American & BFTS) was:
Pilots - 13, 673
Navigators - 1715
Wireless Ops/Air Gunners - 662
(Source: Public Records Office, Kew as mentioned by Jack Currie in Wings Over Georgia)

Plus, of course, there were the aircrew graduates from training schemes in Canada, Rhodesia and South Africa.