PDA

View Full Version : Oxford best chance of employment?

mattince
1st Aug 2001, 20:04
Hoping to go to Oxford to train for ATPL later this year.

I was wondering if having an Oxford training will really make a difference when I apply for an airline job. Does it make me much more employable?

I would appreciate any comments on this as I am trying to decide between Oxford and Cabair. Thanks!

gurnzee
2nd Aug 2001, 18:06
Oxford, supposedly

Lou
4th Aug 2001, 03:25
Mattince,

I graduated from Cabair in early 99. If you work hard and get good results, it pays. They put me forward for three airlines and I had a job within two weeks of leaving.

Good luck....... :D :D

DoWeHaveLiftOff?
6th Aug 2001, 18:23
Lou,

Did you do the integrated route or the modular?

Thanking in advance for your reply.

DWHLO

Lou
10th Aug 2001, 18:03
DWHLO,

CAP 509. Took about 13 months to complete. From the 14 fixed wing students on the course on two (to the best of my knowledge) did not get an airline job.

Cheers L :cool:

StressFree
11th Aug 2001, 20:36
Gentlemen,
I've been in this business for over 15 years, if I was hiring someone (and I have been involved in this several times) then where they trained would be at the bottom of my list. At the end of the day all qualified pilots hold the same licences...........I accept that some schools are better than others buts its a minor issue.
Its the individual that counts; whatever you do dont go to interviews and try to get a job on the basis of having trained at a certain school. Do your homework - know the firm, the routes, the types etc. This counts far, far more than dining out on where you trained.
To all you guys out there training - best of luck, its a great time to be getting into this game, stick with it, its well worth all the grief and cash.

:D

Rommel
13th Aug 2001, 05:27
Agree with Stress Free,it makes NO difference which school you went to.
Providing you can present the ATPL/IR to your prospective employer,the rest is not important.
I went to OATS(I thought it quite stuffy) as a sponsored cadet in the 80s and now Im involved with pilot selection,so go for the best value and the school that suits YOU.Good luck,work hard and youll be joining a great profession at a very good time.
Rommel. :cool:

sydneyc
14th Aug 2001, 01:57
Rommel & StressFree,

Read your posts with interest and have a question which both of you are ideally situated to answer:

You both agree that hours and the individual count for more than the course supplier, but would you say an integrated course still carries more weight than a modular when looking for the first job?

I ask this as I am about to commit to SFT in Bournemouth who offer both a full time continuous modular route and an intergrated version. The modular route suits my circumstances a little more but would value you opinions as to whether you think there is an advantage offered by one or the other.

Thanks for you help

sydneyc

jomcgarry1
15th Aug 2001, 22:11
hi
just wanted to let you know,because it wasnt in the brochure when i decided to go to oxford,but the place is overrun with rude "foreign" students.
Oxford has taken in around 150 students from an up and coming airline,and they think they own the place not to mention that living conditions have seriously deteriorated in the last few months since i have been here. Apart from that the groundschool is excellent and so is the flying side,so if you are going to live off campus you will be fine.
jmc
p.s they also have a habit of setting off the fire alarms at three in the morning apparently they think this is very funny.

Magnus Picus
11th Sep 2001, 00:35
Which UP and Coming Airline McGarry?