PDA

View Full Version : on-line ground school

paul k
15th Sep 2007, 00:30
silly question but is there any online, strictly computer based distance learning ground school programs out there for jaa atpl?

am i better off enrolling in a distance learning course here in canada while i work (flying light piston twins)?

or

quit working altogether and complete a full time ground school course?

or

wait a couple more years, get my canadian atpl and then conver to a jaa atpl?

thanks,

paul

matt_hooks
15th Sep 2007, 01:58
I don't know if this counts as advertising, mods feel free to remove if it is, but I found the Bristol ground school online training very helpful. (just search for Bristol ATPL on google)

Not sure if you can do it entirely online, think you have to attend a couple of weeks of groundschool but I could be wrong.

The online training package seemed very good, and I'd recommend that anyone undertaking JAA ATPL's purchased access to their question bank as it sorted the really boring subjects like law, ops procedures etc in short order.

As far as I know you can't take the JAR exams in Canada anyway, so you'll probably have to come over here to do them, so a couple of weeks of residential groundschool shouldn't be too bad.

Good luck fella.

Firestarter7
15th Sep 2007, 11:25
CATS do an online course

www.cranfieldaviation.com/go/demo (http://www.cranfieldaviation.com/go/demo)

I'm on the ATPL course and have taken and passed Stage 1

There are three 5 day ground schools that you have to do

I did one in June and it lifted my marks by about 10%
I did not think that I needed it beforehand

Stage is about Principles of Flight and Navigation which I'm finding more interesting than some of the Stage 1 subjects

FS

paul k
18th Sep 2007, 16:01
is this correct: if you have an icao cpl the 750 hrs of ground school is cut in half to 375 hrs. the 750 hrs is only for ppl holders. is this in the lasors somewhere?

Turbine King
19th Sep 2007, 06:52
Don't give up your twin flying!

Go for the CATS online course from where you live you can get all the studying done online and save a thousand pounds plus you are still flying and getting twin time

Do your conversions I guess by coming over here if you cant get them done over there