PDA

View Full Version : Hangerage in Grampian Area

rateone
14th Sep 2007, 22:39
Does anyone know of any available hangerage in the Grampian area that might take a Cub? Farm strips, that sort of thing.

Thanks

Rateone

AberdeenAngus
20th Feb 2013, 12:24
Thought i'd bump this as i'm interested in finding hangerage too.
5 years and no reply........might be looking awhile !!

Unusual Attitude
20th Feb 2013, 14:02
Likewise I gave up after a couple of years of trying to find somewhere and based my aircraft at Perth, very happy there I am too!

Regards

UA

youngskywalker
21st Feb 2013, 09:34
Is Longside (near Peterhead) no longer an option? Perhaps Whiterashes (near the ADN VOR) although the hangar is quite small and you're at the mercy of an eccentric farmer who owns it.

GA up here is a shadow of its former self due to many factors, largely due to the devastation left behind from a former flying 'academy' together with an anti light aircraft attitude from BAA/NATS. Sadly not many farm strips nearby.

I would also choose Perth.

Unusual Attitude
21st Feb 2013, 09:59
GA up here is a shadow of its former self due to many factors, largely due to the devastation left behind from a former flying 'academy' together with an anti light aircraft attitude from BAA/NATS.

Your quite right there Skywalker,

I remember the days of a busy flying club at Aberdeen with sometimes a couple of light aircraft in the circuit and ATC having a good level of trust of the local FI's allowing them to sneak in and out of gaps in the traffic.
The final nail in the coffin was when the airport operator banned any circuits at Aberdeen with a club already in decline due to rapidly rising costs.

Such a shame, as you say GA out of Aberdeen is pretty much dead other than a couple of locally based aircraft.

Regards

UA

kui2324
21st Feb 2013, 10:26
The current incarnation of an Aberdeen flying club has been going quite strongly for a couple of years now. Four aircraft - two C152s, a C172 and a PA28. There are five locally based other aircraft - use to be six but the RUSCHMEYER R90-230RG is going to sunnier climes.

Yes there's a lack of hangarage - Insch and Whiterashes hangars seem to be pretty full. You could try contacting the Buchan aero club to ask if they have any space at Longside.

gasax
21st Feb 2013, 11:16
Hangarage in the area is limited. But if you personally visit the various strips and demonstrate that you can fit in with their operations then it can be had.

But it is very much about fitting in and being flexible and to some extent being patient.

AberdeenAngus
21st Feb 2013, 12:08
I live quite near Aboyne. Anyone know if they allow TMG's to base themselves there ?