PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPSMAP 296 for use in europe and africa

guytje
14th Sep 2007, 21:37
Hi,

I am in the process of buying a portable GPSMAP 296 GPS system in the states, but I will be flying in Europe and East africa the most. I have been searching online to see if it is possible to upload a map of EUROPE/AFRICA (I can purchase these online at garmin.com). In other words, I would like to use my garmin handheld in the US as well as in EUROPE/AFRICA. I am not sure that all the features will be available, but that is not the most important. I just want to be able to use (= upload) the maps I can download from the garmin site.

This is all a bit new for me, so maybe I am not making sense, but if anyone has any tips, I would be greatly thankful.

Cheers.
Guy

Rich Pitch Power
15th Sep 2007, 06:13
Guy,

I do something similar to what you suggest with my 296 GPS which has a Pacific/Asia database. When I got my first job in Malawi a few years ago I had the shop I purchased the GPS from do me an African database on a 64mb plug in datacard. This works quite well and fines the international borders up a fair bit which inspires a little more confidence than the chunkier picture provided without the chip. At the end of the day no matter where you are the GPS unit will give you guidance with or without the extra chip info. Also it is a plain black background from the chip info with large features such as rivers and major roads shown, no terrain or airspace as far as I remember (it is all uncontrolled where I work!).

If you are going to spend most of your time in Europe/Africa should you perhaps purchase this area as your prime database?? and not the other way around.

RPP

Ferrit
15th Sep 2007, 10:18
I use 196Map all over Africa and the middle East. The data base in them now days is mamoth. You dont have worry about that.
The 296 is even better as there is colour screen is also great ground proximity but if you are a helo you have turn this off because it is real irritating.
If you want to change the data it doesnt cost a lot and you down load it all from the net. Also all your up dates.

B Sousa
16th Sep 2007, 05:05
Want to save some money. The 295 is outdated but you can find them on www.ebay.com average price around $500. You can get the europe or africa chip at a reasonable price and your back in the game.
I have brought one to South Africa and it is being used with no problem......

Jay Bo
17th Sep 2007, 04:28
Why not buy another brand such as airmap 2000c and u can use that all over the world without any problems. Can get a terrain database that covers the globe and instantly download jep updates for the world. Plus its nearly half the price of the garmin

Soap Box Cowboy
17th Sep 2007, 07:54
Rember boys and girls, depending on which part of Africa you are you might have sketchy internet access and postal service so would recomend you get databases sorted out before you head out to the bush. But definetly recomend a good database since often maps are hard to come by in some areas.

Hehe many of the new boys freak when their GPS fails and they no longer have the skills to fly with dead reconing :}

Solid Rust Twotter
17th Sep 2007, 16:02
SBC, you and me need to have a beer together some time and trade stories of the technology dependent crapping themselves when their toys go tits up....:E