PDA

View Full Version : Assistance please

Pietre
14th Sep 2007, 06:07
Request for assistance with Bursary

I am an 18 year old white South African male, currently in the process of completing my Private Pilot License, I am also finishing my Matric (grade 12 ) and intent making flying my career.
I have a passion for flying and that is reflected in the good marks I acquired for all of my PPL exams.
I have enrolled for my Commercial Pilot License at Airline Pilot Training Centre (APTRAC) in Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape, South Africa - But need to find funding for this course. Their website - http://www.aptrac.com/home.htm (http://www.aptrac.com/home.htm)
I am desperately looking for a bursary to enable me to embark on this mission.
The costs for the basic CPL course is R250,000 (ZAR)
I will really appreciate any assistance in this regard – this is my passion, my dreams
and this is where I belong – as a professional pilot.
Any reference material and information is available if you request.

Your sincerely
Lourens Goosen
Garsfontein
Pretoria
South Africa

GgW
14th Sep 2007, 09:47
Lourens

If you are in the process of completing your ppl , I do not think you would need as much as R250 000 should be more like R 200 000 even less. I have never heard of a bank that will lend you that much money unsecure in SA for a flying course. Most guy's parents would either take out a second morgage or just extend their current one. So basically a secured loan.

Good luck in finding the money.

skyhighbird
14th Sep 2007, 10:34
Was there a need to specifically point out that you are a White South african male?

People on this forum will give you help and assistance whatever your colour my friend.

shaun ryder
14th Sep 2007, 10:59
Here we go again.
Whats your beef?

Quote you on another thread.

I wouldn't fancy having to take my blouse off in front of everyone in the airline selection stage of Phase 4!!

Wasthere any need for this?

skyhighbird
14th Sep 2007, 11:43
Excuse me? How can you even compare my silly light hearted comment with a post that specifies that the poster is a White South African???

You are correct, there was no need for me to write that comment regarding taking of my blouse but it was a light hearted comment in context with the thread and in context with the other posts I had placed on that thread.

In this case, I was simply pointing out that in this day and age, we really don't need to know what colour you skin is because it is not important - we are all equal. And i would have thought that this guy should know better, being a South African himself and having lived through the bloody hard times the whole country suffered as a result due to classifications such as "them" and "us"/ "Black"" and "White".

How about I start every post by saying, I'm a 22 year old, white blonde from the UK. Do you guys really need to know that?? Will I get more responses to my posts if I say that?

shaun ryder
14th Sep 2007, 11:47
You can save that one for the job application love.

dartagnan
14th Sep 2007, 11:52
white or blonde??? no chance!
only brunette!

GgW
14th Sep 2007, 12:53
skyhighbird

I can understand why Pietre has mention he is a white SA, due to affirmative action in SA this is one of the very first questions employers, banks, universties etc. ask you on a application form in SA . So since pprune is accesible by just about anyone with internet access on this planet you will deal with very diffirent cultures , diffirent way's of asking questions and obviously have to deal with people like you:yuk: that suffers from a severe case of tunnle vision. Wake up the UK is a tiny little island and there is a massive world out there.

skyhighbird
14th Sep 2007, 13:03
Ggw,

thank you for setting me straight. I stand corrected. I was unaware that stating the colour of one's skin is actually a common practice in SA.

Also allow me to apologise to the original poster of this thread as it seems I may have inadvertantly moved the discussion away from the original point.

"Wake up the UK is a tiny little island and there is a massive world out there."

I am aware of that, forgive me for not knowing the exact culture of 190+nations of this world. BUt I do hope that my point was made that "generally" one should not state the colour of their skin as it should bear no relevance as we are all equal.

bluepeely
14th Sep 2007, 17:45
Skyhighbird you dont need to apologise for your remarks, there are people on here who think that every post is getting vetted by chief pilots and what they say will stop them getting a job one day,there anominity will be blown and nobody is entitled to have a laugh or say anything that will offend anyone in the slightest. They also forget pilots are human beings with a sense of humour and not robots. These people should become taxmen and stop clogging this site up with there whinging and moaning.