PDA

View Full Version : Transit at AMS

Alanwsg
14th Sep 2007, 05:53
Tomorrow I'm flying LHR-AMS-LIMA.
Sorry to sound like a complete newbie but this is the first time I've ever actually had to transit between flights, I usually fly straight to where I want to go.
What's the procedure at Amsterdam?
I don't have to go through security again do I?

RoyHudd
14th Sep 2007, 06:34
You DO go through security again, so don't buy any water/booze until you've been through the second, superfluous search. The goons are no better/worse than anywhere else in the benighted security world.

KLM promote travel through AMS but don't inform pax of this process. Disappointing.:uhoh:

MrSoft
14th Sep 2007, 06:51
Other than this, AMS is perfect for Transit. Disembark, find screen, find next gate, stroll to gate.

Once you're there, they will sell you a bottle of water but seal it in an approved bag; security will let this through so you can drink it later onboard.

Last time I went through I watched a party of confused Korean businessmen dumping expensive cognac into the Green Bin :sad:. "Say bye bye sir", quipped the security guard. Those Dutch and their sense of humour eh.

pacer142
14th Sep 2007, 08:32
So far as I can tell, you *cannot* buy water to take on board at AMS except in the Schengen area (terminal, not gate security) and the D6 bus gates which are a small terminal in their own right. Only the duty-free shops have the sealed bags, not anywhere selling food etc.

This always struck me as rather silly.

Alanwsg
14th Sep 2007, 08:55
Ok thanks,
The reason I asked is I'm sure I read somewhere (probably on this BB) that you can take the "wrong route" and end up outside by mistake. I thought someone said there was a badly signposted route that takes you straight into the transit lounge without having to pass security again.

fyrefli
14th Sep 2007, 21:41
Basically security at AMS is pre-gate, not post-passport control. This was brilliant until the new regs. It's still more efficiently handled than in the UK mind you :)

10secondsurvey
17th Sep 2007, 08:15
No matter how bad your transit is, it will without doubt be a much more pleasant experience than transiting at LHR, LGW.
Usually the staff are pretty much ok, and yes, you may have to go through security again. As for a direct route, I cannot help. As pointed out above, the security checks are usually right at the boarding gate, so in order to take any water/juice aboard, you need to buy it in specific shops (just ask), where it will be expensive, and they will wrap your water bottle in a sealed plastic bag. It is important you do not open it, until you are on the aircraft.
Before the new liquid regs, this problem didn't exist, but at least there is a way around it.
As big airports go, Schiphol is better than most, just remember that if this the first time you have transited like this, keep checking the signs/boarding gate, check all the time. Never assume anything.
I can recall many years ago, running at break neck speed to catch a connection at LHR to Stockholm. I made it to the gate just in time to be told, it was the wrong airline, and I needed the BA stockholm flight, departing five minutes later, at a far away gate. You look at the board, you see stockholm (I didn't check the airline name), you run. Easily done.

Alanwsg
1st Oct 2007, 12:18
Well, I'm back and I have to say the transit at AMS was simple and stress-free and my baggage made it as well. Guess I was being paranoid about nothing.
This was also the first time I've travelled buisness class (KLM) and it made a long flight (To Lima) a pleasant experience. It was a lot more expensive though, I'll have to ponder whether it was actually worth it just for continous free drinks and a lay-flat seat. On balance, on long-haul, I think it probably was.