PDA

View Full Version : GF Missing Millions

Dessert Aviator
14th Sep 2007, 05:39
Did you know that Bahrain Mumtalakat the government owned holders of Gulf Air also sponsor the F1 Mclaren Team!!!
Running an F1 team costs a fortune, so instead of GF buying new aircraft and investing in spares and infrastucture the money has been syphoned off to support motor racing and someones EGO. Do you see a BAhrain flag or advertising on the Mclaren car, NO!!!
Mclaren have now been fined US$100 million for cheating so where do you suppose that money will come from?
We are selling the B767's in order to keep someone's F1 dream alive.:}

ODMEA
14th Sep 2007, 06:06
As a well travelled pax I have the utmost admiration for the boys and girls up front who fly me safely where I need to go and always get me home BUT reading this forum at times I wonder about the calibre of some.....what a childish post!:rolleyes:

Al Fakhem Snr.
14th Sep 2007, 08:58
Well ODMEA, it tells me that either you know nothing, you are blind, or plain stupid.

And most of all it tells me that you are not a pilot and should not be posting on here.

We do have concerns on how this company is being managed and feel only too obliged to share these with colleagues on probably the only platform where it's allowed.

Under the cover of restructuring and reshaping every managment team comes up with promises and a new scheme on how to syphon off money, the latest was the hoo haaa on the state of the 767 in order to expedite the sale so that the four months PCE can make his 2% comission. While we are here standing watching this unfold nothing is being done to fix the real problems this company has, and although salary increases do play in favour of our staying longer, it is again a quick fix and not a long term strategic action only a temporary one to stem the flow of employees leaving.

ODMEA
14th Sep 2007, 10:25
As a premium F class pax for the past 5 years with GF and almost one million miles its a bit rich calling me stupid or saying I have no right posting here. I think its refreshing for you guys to hear what the living cargo u transport have to say from time-to-time; furthermore I'm one of the reasons YOU still have a job with GF and its still flying!

You're probably one of the unprofessional pilots who used to come sit and sleep in an empty F seat snoring away with your TV monitor and reading light on in a darkened cabin disturbing PAYING F class pax trying to sleep. Total disregard 3rd world airline standards I saw a few times on GF by local Arab flight deck crew. With the poor professional chef and F crew looking on helplessly and very embarassed! Unable to intervene for fear of upsetting a local and losing their job:ugh::confused:

As for the sale of GF's 767's and the prehistoric deathtraps they are, at least there is an excuse to sell them now..what an embarrassment of an aircraft to fly in, as crew or pax!

The rant is all speculation and in typical local fashion needlessly emotionally charged.

Ramadan Kareem habibi.

Oddy

Left Coaster
14th Sep 2007, 12:24
So 'ODD ONE'...where would you propose this intrepid aviator get his crew rest so you might get to where you were going without the horrors of a stop? If there are no rest facilities on board, the feds allow crews to rest in an available passenger seat. How convenient for the company. Certainly not the pilot, who MUST take rest inflight if on a longer duty day. If I had a fil for everyone of your type who made loud comments about crew taking up space in his precious area, and insisting on waking him up to ask inane questions about such things as where he thought they might be flying over, I'd be rich! Stop pestering the GF boys regarding thier problems, or would you mind letting them know where you work so they can pop in for a bitch session with you? There must be something people do where you work or play that would warrant a GF pilot complaining...
By the way, when you tut tutted about this poor fellow resting in your space, did you stop to consider whether or not he had been on continous duty for days before his flight? Or what time of day he had gone to work? Or how many days of work he had been working in that week/month/year? Probably not, but the company you give so much loyalty to will gladly and illegally roster a pilot over his allowable hours and threaten him with dismissal if he doesn't go....still love GF?:ok:
:zzz:

jackbauer
14th Sep 2007, 12:50
Odd One, you might be one of the reasons we all have jobs in GF but you sure as hell aint the only one. Go take your business somewhere else if it's such a chore for you to suffer in F class. Chances are you don't have any choice but to fly GF since you are not the one paying the ticket. If on the other hand you are paying then what Al Fakhem said is true, you ARE STUPID! There is a self loading freight forum, suggest you take your little knowledge of our job over there with the other aerosexuals. It's called F class for a very good reason, go figure habibi.

NO FD NO SRS
14th Sep 2007, 15:51
ODMEA
Dont try to impress us with ur million miles and premium status. we carry exacutives, ministers, vvips and royalities all the the time. try this show off in front of your family so they can pretend to be very impressed in front of you and then puke later.

Air_dryer
14th Sep 2007, 16:09
Well Well Odema!

What can one say.I have to totally agree with Jack B.
Suspose you paid from your own pocket, don't think so, just another old fuddy duddy whose head is up his own ar-e, travels first class company paid,wishing that he was a pilot or indeed had the potential to be a pilot.

As for the death trap 767's, they are in need of a refurbishment,but are by no means a death trap.You just really proved you know nothing.:=

As for all the references to locals and the local mentality, why don't you take your frustrated self back to the tax paying haven that is so much better than here.

And be quick about it:mad:

tbaylx
14th Sep 2007, 16:30
Am i the only guy at GF who thinks that Odema has a point? Our customer service sucks donkey balls, and if the BAH governemnt wants to sponser an F1 team, who cares? It's their money they can do what they want with it, not like they are deducting it from your salary.

Let the BAH government worry about running GF, maybe we can try to act a bit more proffesionally towards our paying pax who brings up some good points about our customer service.

Air_dryer
14th Sep 2007, 16:50
Think you might be the only Gf guy who agrees with Odmea.

Did he really have any good points in regards to customer service,apart from attacking pilots from sitting in a f class seat, and with their reading light switched on God forbid.:oh:
As previously mentioned it's probably a freebie not that that should make a difference to the service ,but it does make a difference to his attitude.

As most airlines are reducing the amount of service they used to provide on board in an effort to reduce costs, you can still fly gf even in economy and not pay for the food etc(not saying it's fantastic) but they do provide that.

I recently flew back from Lhr J class and the service was Fab.As with all things in life there are good and bad flights,But we can't be that bad if ODEMA has being flying us for 5 years.:ugh:

ODMEA
14th Sep 2007, 18:07
Firstly there WAS an EMPTY crew rest each time the F class seat was used. Secondly he has NO RIGHT to make noise, watch TV leave the reading light on and chat with cabin crew,,if he needs to rest or sleep so be it do it quietly.

Thirdly on the 3 occasions I have seen this happen it was always arab crew thats a fact and always inconsiderate. Go use the empty crew rest!!!!:ugh::*
Im hardly stuck up the fact remains its the F and J class pax who help keep u guys alive. Why the hell would chose to "show off" to pilots who fly for a living and have flown premium more than Ive had hot dinners..so please adjust your preceptions.

I chose to fly GF because as I've said in a previous post the 8 sleeper seats, 2 lavs, Chef, service and food are great value for what I pay compared to any other regional carrier. The only probs I highlighted were the inconsiderate pilots who use the F cabin inconsiderately when the crew rest was empty!

The 767's I used to RUH, BEY, MCT and elswhere nearly always went out technical or delayed due to the same....100 fold more than either the 340/330/320's ever did. They are a disgusting airplane to fly in with nearly every prehistoric seat broken in J class in some fashion. Remember they were grounded for a reason, not for the fun of it. I wont even mention the horrible hard landings without fail in those monsters because of stupidly designed landing gear.

They used to be nice when they where the kings of GF's long haul fleet..those days are long gone. I'm sorry if that upsets the 767 crew.

My taxed status allows me full human rights, safe roads, proper hospitals and voice my opinion where and when I want, YOU on the otherhand need to hide behind this forum for that luxury! Which begs the question who is really being "taxed" here?

Trader
14th Sep 2007, 18:41
ODMEA and TBAY - nope. ODMEA's right!

As well, GF do NOT use crew rest on any flights we do since our longest flight is Manilla. No need for rest. So that pilot was either DHing or .....???? No rest required.

ironbutt57
14th Sep 2007, 19:26
Actually when the winter winds come into play, they do operate a "heavy crew" see it every year when I go home to P.I.

DukePhantom
14th Sep 2007, 19:55
all I want to say is that ODMEA has all the right to say what he/she wants to say in this forum, whether he/she is a Pilot, crew or otherwise. and there was no need for the Attack for simply having a fair opinion I might Add ....

Mumtalakat has the right to put their money anywhere they want ... that does not mean it would come from GF pockets ...

you need to relax guys and have more constructive replies rather than storm away with un-necessary replies that may demean your intelligence.

tbaylx
14th Sep 2007, 22:41
And by the way ODMEA, as a Boeing crew i agree with your assesment of the state of the aircraft. They are in no ways unsafe to fly, however the state of the interiors is rather embarrasing. I'd expect more as a business passenger for sure.

I hope eventually our new mwnagement will be addressign these concerns as i'm sure you're not the only one to notice this.

Al Fakhem Snr.
15th Sep 2007, 01:26
Congratulations on your mileage oddy. it still doesn't make you a pilot as much as you would like to be one, nor give you the right to criticize where we take rest.

If you are so fond of your status with GF I suggest you take your card and place it in the crack just belo your lower back where it might finally find some resonance, please ensure the magentic strip is clear of any dirt or dust it may have accumulated in your wallet.

And yes i will call you blind or stupid, because if as a passenger you have not noticed or heard what is going on with GF and not just the 767, then with however little a mind that you may have, you would have walked long ago.

Your mileage does not entitle you to meddle in issues that are far beyond your reach or concern, so real that little head of yours in, and chill, while we do our job of taking you where you have to go. And please next time I sit next to you, make sure you wear that nappy around your neck i don't want your drooling saliva on mine.

b767300
15th Sep 2007, 01:32
Total disregard 3rd world airline standards I saw a few times on GF by local Arab flight deck crew.

Are you all right?
It seems you are such an idiot to say such words.
oh may I add, thanks for paying our salaries.

Air_dryer
15th Sep 2007, 07:46
:DWell Well Odema,

Firstly, get yourself a dictionary, learn to spell and punctuate correctly!

Secondly i do agree with the statement regarding the interior of the 767's, they are in desperate need of an immediate refurbishment.But , and wait for it you( QUAKEBUTTOCK) a smooth touch down is not the the criterion for a safe landing on this type of aircraft.(FLT 767 (TM) 6.18) Again you show that you know absolutely nothing about flying.

Suggest you forward your complaints to Boeing regarding the landing gear ,i'm sure they will be met with howls of hilarity.

You Simply must be suffering from temulency.

knowsup
15th Sep 2007, 10:01
This is so typical of you guys. The topic of the thread is lost on the first page. Yes lets throttle the passenger and ensure that no only his business flys eleswhere but anyone else who reads for the fun of it makes the same decision. Lets not completely destroy what decision making future passengers think of us.
Back to to the topic:
Don't think blowing the dough on an F1 investment is a good idea for marketing the island or airline....but how many good ideas have come out of the pink palace in the last 5 years? The golden Falcon logo is not recognized by any country outside the middle east. I am committed to try and make this thing work but when I read the posts and see the true nature of beings that supposedly bleed for the company...l am convinced that transporting cargo is the only avenue left. At least there are Euro's in it.
Next week it will be found out that yet another has been found pulling millions out of the cookie jar. Jail them for life. Past/Present/Future offenders. Then we will see a difference.

ironbutt57
15th Sep 2007, 16:51
The first post in this thread that bring up the nationality of the flight deck, or any crewmember for that matter....flushes the credibility of the whole thread down the toilet....(you know the one on the airplane held together with tape...not unlike a a porta-potty at a redneck hicktown in smallville USA") our airplanes while safe...need the EntiRE INTERIORS REPLACED...not fixed....we are all embarassed by the state of the aircraft...as flt deck we have the advantage of hiding away up front until the pax deplane...our crews in the cabin who support and carry this airline...spend the entire flight apologizing for us...God bless them....

Ibn Kalb
16th Sep 2007, 08:43
Reading the replies from (presumably) pilots and F/Os has been a real eyeopener.

I am so disappointed with your attitudes of taking out on a passenger instead of directing your opinions towards your management.

It is a real real disappointment and has seriously undermined my previously head belief in the "professionalism under duress" image I had of all GF crew.

So sad to read

fractional
16th Sep 2007, 16:58
Safety! Safety! However, keep an eye on the business and never underestimate it. You need to fly the business safely otherwise head somewhere else.
But look what happened to the thread "GF Missing Millions"? GF should pull out of it as the main sponsor. The name Bahrain should be the one written all over. Sooner or later that GP will go to Qatar. There is more money there.

ODMEA
17th Sep 2007, 02:02
Firstly apologies the post went the way it did.
Secondly I have no desire to ever be a pilot and inflict the personal and social ills it brings on ones life..albeit I admire those of you who chose the profession. I further would not choose to be a pilot in a part of the world my rights are as solid as cotton candy/fairy floss(depending where u come from).

So those of you who feel superior because of your status as pilots and myself as a mere passenger think again. I will say it till im blue in the face we F and J pax pay your salaries..simple and its quite interesting how some of you have reacted to that fact. If it bothers you that much go fly cargo where that will be paying for your salaries instead and wont ever challenge you by raising it here on such a forum.

GF pilots who use F seats loudly esp when crew rest is empty need to be reprimanded. Its highly unprofessional and takes away from the job the great crew you guys have who obviously put up with rude pax, poor conditions, crap ac etc and still manage to smile. GO USE YOUR CREW REST that was my sole argument..nothing else. If you need to use F seat do it low profile!!... too much to ask from a pax who has payed on average 10K USD for a multi sector trip within the GCC at any one time?? and I do that 5-6 times a year. I fly F for the space and quiet and have no tollerance for an inconsiderate pilot to disrupt that blatently.

As for the 767 I have re routed many segments upon realising it was the servicing ac....I refuse to pay for J on it..simple. The landings, well it came from one of YOU guys beside me on a flight once that the landing gear when down lies at an unusual angle hence the rougher landings compared to other ac..I'm no engineer so my bibliography is GF flight crew here!

I have been laughed at and ridiculed for maintaining loyalty to GF by MANY collegues and contacts within the GCC and elswhere while the likes of EY, EK and QR are available...VERY easy for me to walk guys but I like something about GF and Bahrain, GF network and the human face of BAH as a transit airport and city, let alone the bargain F class product. I still think GF has a great product and lot going for it and really hope the Arabs and Western expats at the top work for the airline and not thier ego or pockets. I look at the likes of MEA wholly middle eastern run, superb ac, great service with probably 25% of the working capital of GF/Bahrain, economic and political instability yet still working...what's GF's excuse?....think about it!

Some of your responses leave alot to be desired and I apologise for ruffling some of your 'golden' feathers but I have every right to voice my opinon..I pay yr salary remember :8

Ibn Kalb
17th Sep 2007, 05:49
Just to back you up on that, for some weird reason, I too always fly GF (only exception was S Africa and Khatoum once). There is something of a club about it although I am increasingly finding that newer cabin crew just don't "get" the thing about living in Bahrain and how it is a club of sorts.

boeingdriverx
17th Sep 2007, 06:26
We should also remember that the airline business is a very low margin business. Even airlines with the best management will go once in a while in big debt and sometimes never recover.

So making money in the airline business is difficult. GF is no exception. Do you really think that QR or EY are making money?

Gulf Air is a goverment company in a very regulated ME aviation market. In these markets, goverment funding is a MUST, to be able to compete with other airlines (EK - EY etc.). Think about europe 20 years ago and Sabena, Air France, Swissair. Same story.

But maybe one day the ME will deregulate like the US and Europe before, and then only the strongest will survive...

BD

repapips
17th Sep 2007, 11:10
Yes, it seems this exchange between pilots and pax leave much to be desired.
Though this should not be taken as an image of the pilots of said company or any company for that matter.

As you can see, there are only a very few pilots who commented aggressively against the pax, I think only 3 or 4. So it really doesn't paint an accurate picture of what and how all the pilots think.

As we all know, we pilots could disagree on a whole lot of topics and that is why airlines and aircraft manufacturers have Standard Operating Procedures so the 2 guys in front would agree and expect what the other guy would do on almost every instance regarding flying. And when he does something unexpected by the other guy, he calls it out and the other corrects it.

Unfortunately, these same airlines can not really impose SOPs on topics outside aircraft operation. So I guess it's better to keep everything in perspective and not jump into conclusions based on what 3 or 4 people said, regarding an airline or any other company for that matter...

But, having said that, the previous exchanges were quite interesting, to say the least...

Al Fakhem Snr.
17th Sep 2007, 12:05
I guess the next step would be for GF to tape my fingers to my zipper in order to prevent me from typing away at some incongruous passenger remarks on a site meant for pilots.

Why to my fly?

I will let you just imagine what I would like to tell ODMEA next...:ooh:

cantilever
17th Sep 2007, 12:34
Sorry Guys but I have just flown as a Pax with my family on a GF 767 and the a/c are a disgrace!.....
I cant comment on the safety of the a/c but before the major maintenance they certainly were unsafe!.....how can you expect passengers to have confidence with all that has gone on.

As for the childish comments from from some supposed GF flightcrew.....well:rolleyes:
Grow up..and stop dragging public opinion lower than it already is!

Desert_Storm
17th Sep 2007, 19:32
[/I cant comment on the safety of the a/c but before the major maintenance they certainly were unsafe!.....QUOTE]

Just wanted to ask you what are your basis to make such an statement specially considering that you are not a pilot nor a flight engineer???? Most definitely, your ignorance is very daring. The fact that the interior of the 767 fleet don't look very good doesn't necessarily mean that the a/c is unsafe or that it represents a threat to you or your beloved family mate. Let me enlighten you a little bit and put you back into reality, I'm a GF 767 pilot and before thinking about your safety, I THINK ABOUT MY OWN SAFETY FIRST and can tell you that none of us (767 flight deck) would fly an unsafe airplane. Again, and this is also for your information, before you dare to write something so stupid again, we use an approved MEL (approved by the manufacturer [Boeing] and also by the DGCAM Oman) to determine if the airplane is airworthy. Evidently, some times we have to deal with some tricky failures on the airplane NOT necessarily dangerous but tricky, but for that matters, we use something known as airmanship and dude, let me tell you that most of the guys I've flown with in GF are excellent professionals. Next time be a little more respectful and keep your mouth shut when you have no idea of what you are talking about. :=

fractional
17th Sep 2007, 23:20
Speaking of millions...:
http://www.gulfnews.com/sport/Motor_Racing/10154269.html

Al Fakhem Snr.
22nd Sep 2007, 09:12
Those who think that they are going to be able to hide under the cover of Bahrainisation and the anonymity of small title are wrong. No stone will be left unturned and regardless of creed color or race they will be followed till the end.

Good news on the gdn

ironbutt57
22nd Sep 2007, 09:26
Just remember ODMEA, the crews need the proper tools to do the job...while the professionalism of all involved makes GF a safe airline to fly on, the customer comfort/convnience items are most assuredly in need of attention..so no need to pop up here blasting away on your trumpet and exalting yourself to a "salary paying" status, and attacking the crews...we all do the best given the tools we are provided with..and of course it is disappointing to us as well when we cannot offer the best travel experience for our esteemed fare-paying passengers .and those of us staying are sure as things get rolling here those tools will be in much better shape, and your loyalty as a passenger will be rewarded...we do appreciate your comments and of course your continued support as a passenger.

ODMEA
22nd Sep 2007, 09:43
Iron Butt,

I feel I had every right yet again to "attack" unprofessional flight deck crew for the inapropriate use of F class. 1, Crew rest was empty 2, they used F class in a most disturbing fashion to other paying F class pax, including myself.

I never attacked crew needlessly, in fact I have said I admire and respect you guys for being pilots and tansporting me around safely.

Thanks for your message but please read what it is I have in fact said in my posts. If I have otherwise been out of line it was perhaps instigated by the pilots remarks made here against my legitimate complaint.

I look forward to flying a better GF product in the near future. Let's hope it does indeed go well.

Oddy.

Al Fakhem Snr.
22nd Sep 2007, 09:53
Hopefully someone will be spared from this anti-corruption drive and some crew will be left to take you to where you have to go. By the looks of it is sounds like the whole organisation is going to be dusted, and if I were you with all our thanks i would sincerely recommend you take your business elsewhere. its a real mess ODMEA more than you could ever imagine.

Al Fakhem Snr.
22nd Sep 2007, 12:06
Brandzag,

Who has failed, the employees or the management and the board?

Thank you.

Spare me your godlike rethoric and comeback down to earth will you, every pilot and staff member who has written here have raised the spectre of the ill consequences of poor management and what have management done? They have done it again screwed this airline to the ground and taken its reputation with it.

F-ALL!

But to add insult to injury we also have to endure the blissful comments of an @sehole who deems it his duty to further humiliate us.

Why don't you tak a ride off into the sunset mate and see if I am there!

As a pilot it is my bloody right and that of IB to write on this thread and say what others who are higher than me in the food chain and paid to do so fail to even fathom.

Al Fakhem Snr.
22nd Sep 2007, 14:53
I did not realise you had a degree in psychiatry but good on you for clarifying my personal problems, perhaps if you gave me your address I will come and consult on your sofa.:ok:

what humiliation ANSETT pilots had to go through, but they behaved very professionally throughout the ordeal

No they just flocked the market and whatever profile they adopted their entry into the Gulf labour market is well documented.

An Ozzie is an Ozzie, let us not go into that!

bye!