PDA

View Full Version : Oakhanger HIRTA

easy307
13th Sep 2007, 20:44
How dangerous is Oakhanger HIRTA ?

Does anyone ignore the warnings and fly through it ?

From AIP:-

3.2 High Intensity Radio Transmission Area (HIRTA) - Airspace of defined dimensions within which there is radio energy of
an intensity which may cause interference with and on rare occasions damage to communications and navigation equipment.
3.2.1 Areas within which there is radio energy of an intensity which could cause interference with and on rare occasions, cause
damage to, communications and navigation equipment such as Radio Altimeter, VOR, ILS and Doppler are listed at ENR 5.3. The
intensity may be sufficient to detonate electrically initiated explosive devices carried or fitted in aircraft.
3.2.2 Only the most significant sources are listed and in some of these areas the intensity of the radio energy may be such that it
would be injurious to remain for more than one minute in the immediate vicinity of the energy source. This is especially relevant to
helicopter operations and the list contains appropriate warnings; however it would be prudent for helicopter pilots to avoid lingering
closer than 100 m to any radar aerial. Pilots approaching oil production platforms on which dish aerials can be observed should,
wherever possible, approach from a direction out of the general line-of-shoot of such aerials.

hobbit1983
13th Sep 2007, 21:35
How dangerous is Oakhanger HIRTA ?

Well, given that

the intensity of the radio energy may be such that it
would be injurious to remain for more than one minute in the immediate vicinity of the energy source.

which I take to mean that it would be injurious to my health to mess around with it, it could be very dangerous?

Does anyone ignore the warnings and fly through it ?

Why? Is it really worth the hassle, or indeed good airmanship?

Fg Off Max Stout
13th Sep 2007, 23:39
There are a whole host of reasons why you don't mess with HIRTAs, most learnt in the past by others through bitter experience. As a general rule to live by, if you're warned not to do something, there's normally a good reason for it, even if you don't know what that is.

HIRTAs may f**k up numerous systems on board your aircraft and of these, the system I care about the most are my 'nads. If you want to have kids one day, respect the HIRTA!

foxmoth
14th Sep 2007, 01:38
But I bet you would drive past on the road without a second thought!:hmm:

chevvron
14th Sep 2007, 07:13
If you had access to Part 4 of the UK Mil AIP, you could look in there and see the true extent and effect of Oakhanger. In this document, it states that the hazard is only in the sector 090 TO 270 deg, in other words it's actually a semi circle NOT a full circle. In any case although it MIGHT affect on board electronic gizmo's, it was actually established when a Wessex fitted with radio triggered flotation bags flew through it and the bags inflated!

18greens
14th Sep 2007, 08:02
I know a couple of chaps who don't want any more kids (60+) who happily fly through HIRTAS to get an advantage in gliding competitions.

flyingsteve55
14th Sep 2007, 08:49
It's not exactly difficult to fly around!!

Mariner9
14th Sep 2007, 09:14
So I guess we're not gonna see any of you HIRTA avoiders at the annual Croft Farm flyin then ;)

(Croft farm airstrip is situated within the Defford HIRTA)

Incidently, fly anywhere within abt 5 miles of the Woofferton HIRTA and you get German (usually) or Welsh (sometimes) radio coming through your headsets regardless of frequency selected. Never noticed warming of any body parts though :hmm:

Saab Dastard
14th Sep 2007, 15:45
Never noticed warming of any body parts though

Damn, I thought this would be a good alternative to a vasectomy! :}

SD

Nimrod615
14th Sep 2007, 17:20
My folks used to live about 2nm away from the Oakhanger 'golf balls'. On many occasions I would look up and see light aircraft transiting overhead. Can't say for sure but I'm not entirely sure if anything actually goes on there any more! (I'm not saying go ahead and fly over...just an observation from the ground) There were talks of turning the place into an asylum centre!!!

Three Yellows
14th Sep 2007, 17:36
Well in our old aeroplane with the original non FM immune radios, we always were reminded to turn off our mobile phones because of the "dit dit dit" in our ears as the phone was logging in.

In our new shiney plane with a Garmin G1000 there is no interference from mobile phones. Presumably this is because the radios etc have undergone a lot of EMC improvement.

I suspect that the new avionics wouldn't be bothered by these HIRTA transmissions.

Any thoughts?

ShyTorque
14th Sep 2007, 19:18
In any case although it MIGHT affect on board electronic gizmo's, it was actually established when a Wessex fitted with radio triggered flotation bags flew through it and the bags inflated!

Probably that Navy Wessex that landed at Lasham by mistake, still trying to find Odiham.... :E

chevvron
15th Sep 2007, 08:12
Oakhanger is still very much functioning; it transmits high power level data to satellites mostly in geostationary orbits over the equator (they can't be anywhere else in fact) hence the fact it's only harmful in the southerly quadrant.