PDA

View Full Version : Biz Jet Roster

Spam Up
13th Sep 2007, 09:41
Hello

While I really enjoy life in the business side of aviation, I am finding the 24hr/7days/365days on call a tad hard going, ideally what I would like is a roster which commits you to work for a period and then gives you a fair period off (eg....netjets roster) and also allows you to base yourself where ever you like ( within the UK ).

Could you let me what companys roster their pilots in such a way as I would like to bombard them with my CV ?

I currently have a tad under 1000hrs of which most is M/E turbine but am gagging to get onto a nice shiny biz jet.

Spam Up

TurboJ
13th Sep 2007, 10:36
even if you work the biz jet side of life, being on call 24/7 is highly illegal whatever bully boy tactics your employer tries.

I recall the fleet manager of a southern UK based jet operator expecting his pilots to be available 24/7. Enthusiastic but so mis-guided.

All companies should have a roster - the extent to which it is adhered to though is another question.

TJ

Spam Up
13th Sep 2007, 10:52
Very true ! but in the smaller company's that's the way it goes whether you like it or not.

There is of course a roster, then there is of course rostered days off, then on the rostered day off there is of course the call saying that youve got to do this flight as there is no one else available and our company cannot afford to loose one flight !

So what company do you work for and what roster do they have, and will they gimme a job ?

Spam Up

Chippie Chappie
14th Sep 2007, 09:30
Some GA operators are waking up to the fact that to attract and retain people, they need to provide a stable roster.

As you point out, NetJets have one. I believe that European Business Jets have a 5/4 roster, Air Partner (Goldair) have a 6/3, LEA have a 5/2-5/3. How strictly these rosters are honoured, you'll have to ask the crews of the said companies.

TurboJ's company might give you a job if you approach them. How do you know if you've approached them? Well, have you approached all the the bizjet companies in the UK? :ok:

Here's a little test.

How many bizjet operators have you called in the last 3 months?
How many bizjet operators have you visited in the last 3 months?
How many people in the bizjet world do you know?
The lower the total number you arrive at, the closer to the "bottom" you are and the more you "just need to get your foot in the door" and accept whatever you can get.

By the way, as some poor, misguided soul who was previously asking about a Netjet cadetship seemed to have trouble grasping, being a pilot, you will be away from home quite a bit. That will be your life so don't enter if you don't want it.

Good luck,

Chips

JoeCo
14th Sep 2007, 10:13
Do forget the ever-so-clever tactic of, "but you just had a day off yesterday?!?!" arguement.

I loved their foolishness. Just because I dint get called, doesnt mean I was abale to do what iwanted to on that day. Especially if companies have imposed restriction on where yu can go and what you can do on a rostered day on.

But as previously pointed out, the industry is slowly starting to relaize that the drivers require some sort of life outside of the cockpit and to atract candidates, they have to offer a schedule of some sorts.

NetHets is good with there 6on/5off, 6on/4off (or whatever it exactly is) and other less central locations like say NJME offer a 35on/30off. Eastern European rosters generally seem to be 2 weeks on/2 weeks off or a 18on/16off style of roster. It all depend on where you are looking.

Regardless, because of the nature of the corporate side of the industry, it doesnt matter what schedule you have you will still need to have a good amount of flexability. You must know by now that with biz jets, nothing is for certain.

Another one you might consider trying is VistaJets. Although they did say that English and German speaking skills are required, I do not know if they impose the requirement.

Good Luck

Miles Magister
14th Sep 2007, 18:06
Gold Air roster certainly used to be very well adhered to and was a good feature of working for them. It was also published 6 months in advance by RD who is a good guy to work for.

Spam Up
15th Sep 2007, 20:18
Thanks for the replys so far !

Although I may have sounded like I was moaning about the 24/7 roster, it does benefit me in that I get the hours for the log book, I see it as a means to get onto something a bit better.

The idea of 2 weeks on followed by 2 off sounds great, so what other companys offer this kind of roster, and just as importantly allow you to be based wherever you want, I would love that :)

I have looked into several companys which I have listed below and would be greatfull if anyone who works for them can shed some light on the rosters they operate ( by pm if preferred ) and if they allow you to be based wherever !

TAG Farnborough/Swiss
Jet Alliance
Cirrus Aviation
Global Jet
Jet Management
Ocean Sky
Bookajet

I have just broken the 1000hrs ( mostly Turbo Prop ) mark and would still like to be based in UK, but would be more than willing to work to a roster like that mentioned above from anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any replys ! :D

Spam Up ;)

max.aret
16th Sep 2007, 09:58
You don't want to go to JetAlliance at all an to Cirrus Aviation as copilot. You might want to try ExecuJet, 1000hrs is their hiring minimum and they are looking to crew a couple of CL300s.

Spam Up
17th Sep 2007, 09:48
Thanks for the reply max.aret !

The jobs you mention would be based out of Dubai which im told is a great place, do you have any details of their T&C's ?

Spam Up

max.aret
17th Sep 2007, 17:54
They WERE also looking for CL300 crew for their German AOC. Pay is good, but could be better (approx. 6.000 EUR/month for a F/O on GLEX on two on / two off). Dubai is just hot and nothing more, but probably still better than Russia.