PDA

View Full Version : help needed

sawaya
13th Sep 2007, 09:36
Hi guys and girls.little help here espesially from the current working GA pilots i am thinking of getting a citation rating,no job yet,just wanted to know is it a good idea, does it apeal more to employers, lots of citations in switzerland.thanks all

Spam Up
13th Sep 2007, 09:55
Hello

Have you approached any of the operators ?
Have they said if you get a rating they will give you a job ?
How many CJ's are there in your country and is it the best rating for the market there ?

I would be very very reluctant to go out and get myself a TR without first speaking to a few operators who may give you employment once you have spent your hard earned money.

I take it you have explored all other options for getting work, paying for your own TR is a huge step and not one which everyone agrees with, as im sure others are about to pass comment on !

Good luck

Spam Up:}

sawaya
13th Sep 2007, 10:04
Hi thanks for the reply, No i have not approached any operator yet just gone through their respective websites and it seems they all want you to be rated on type,my thinking is i believe i will be more marketable,i dont agree with self funding of a type rating but at this point it seems like the only option.

Cheers

Spam Up
13th Sep 2007, 10:23
Hello

Well if you have already made contact with them why dont you ask them if they will give you a position when you have completed the TR,or even do the TR through them as they may get reduction on TR cost as they have already sent pilots on courses previously.

But be very very cautious of empty promises.

What Citation are you planning to do a TR on, if I was goin to shell out on a TR, I would make sure it was on one of the larger Citation types which are operated Multi Crew !

Spam Up

unablereqnavperf
13th Sep 2007, 10:27
For once and hopefully for all will you wannabee's realise when employers ask for type rated pilots they mean "type rated "with experience on type of at least 500hrs. They are not looking for some desperate wannabee that has bought a "backyard" type rating for the lowest posible cost, and has precious little other experience to offer!:=
Instead of wasting time costing type ratings why don't you wanabee's spend your energies on making contacts and getting your face around. you may evn try and get a non flying job with an operator and then work on developing a relationship which will lead to a flying job. :ugh:
And remember Biz jets are no longer considered an easy way to an airline job. Todays corporate aviation company's are looking for career corporate pilots. (well that is any of the ones worth working for!)
Blood and sweat will get you that job you desire not money!!!!!!:ok:

FL470
13th Sep 2007, 10:30
Well said unablereqnavperf!!!

Spam Up
13th Sep 2007, 10:32
unablereqnavperf

I knew you would jump on the old pay for my own TR !!

Sound advice though !!!!

Spam Up

sawaya
13th Sep 2007, 10:35
I Agree With All Your Views It Has Been Difficult To Break In The Swiss Pilot Community Reason Being Language Barrier,as I Dont Speak Any French,i Have Not Being In Direct Contact With Any Operator,just Wondering Can I Just Call Company Direct And Talk To Probably The Chief Pilot.

Spam Up
13th Sep 2007, 10:42
whats the worst thing that could happen if you phone them ?

what is your experience level ?

Spam Up

sawaya
13th Sep 2007, 10:54
i GUESS NOTHING I USED TO WORK IN SALES SO I GUESS MY COLD CALLING SKILLS ARE STILL SPOT ON,AS OF EXPERIENCE I AM A NEWLY MINTED CPL ME IR 250 HRS

sawaya
13th Sep 2007, 15:31
just for your info unablereqnavperf, i was offered a job in a major airline in Kenya 737 800,the airline has the whole range of boiengs with superb T&C my wife did not want us to move there i had to sacrifice i know many peolple will call me a fool but thats how it is,mind you i would not have paid for the type rating i would have been bonded for 3 years.all i want now is a job and start paying back the loans

No Country Members
13th Sep 2007, 15:33
Unablereq

And remember Biz jets are no longer considered an easy way to an airline job. Todays corporate aviation company's are looking for career corporate pilots.

I have no doubt that some of today's wannabes are looking for a career in corporate flying, and whilst I don't necessarily question your advice, I am not sure your motivation is more based on your opinion of self funding in general, rather than philanthropy.

It is always easier to have such an opinion when you are no longer a wannabe, in my experience.

sawaya
13th Sep 2007, 16:18
Thanks No Country Members, back to my original question i would like replies from current working pilots my question is

pilot A applies to an operator flying fleets of citation 250HRS ME IR MCC

Pilot B applies 250 hrs rated on type Citations 500 550 560 same operator

Who would the Hr be interested in ?

newcomer
13th Sep 2007, 17:02
To me with 2000hrs with 600 multi PIC with a few hundred CV nexts to my name, still wont touch me unless i had a type rating, but this industry has never changed, its who you know not what you know. So ill continue plodding along enjoying my flying and meeting new people on the road. And hopefully i still can afford my bills.

sawaya
13th Sep 2007, 21:46
thank you that says alot mate i know its a big risk getting a rating but i believe its bigger to hang aorund without any burgaining chip.

unablereqnavperf
14th Sep 2007, 11:28
sawaya
In my company the answer to your question is a simple one,
I would select the guy who's attitude best fits our company culture,and the one that is most likely to get on with the 100 other pilots in our company.
Once seleted I will then send him away on a type rating course to our specification ( costing around $32 000.00) and pay his expence's while he/she is training and pay a salary!

As I keep saying on this forum a type rating with out experience is like an aircraft with no engines! When will you idiots learn this.

Before you start I have interviewed and hired many pilots and can safely say I have never hired just because of a type rating, the personallity wins over every time.

You have to realise that it is possible to train people how to fly but you can't teach personality that has to come from the person themself, I therefore recomend that the next time you attend a CRM course that you pay better attention. CRM is not political correctness training its about how we interact and perform as humans as well!

Newcomer
For your interest we have employed 15 pilots over the last few months and only one was type rated but he had 3800hrs on type! Perhaps it you technique that needs some work and not your wallet!

As I keep saying you need to get your face around and make it fit rather than sitting on your butt and buying type ratings.

Don't forget that people like me were once people like you,the differance is We didn't take no for an answer we kept knocking on doors, kept trying the phone calls, done sh1tty jobs just to get noticed, I could go on and on. Sure its not easy but anything in life that is worth having is hard won.
Its these basic life lessons you need to learn and not I'll just go buy a type rating!:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::mad:

ps. sawaya I wouldn't consider Kenya Airways a major airline particularly if they want you to buy your rating!

No Country Members
14th Sep 2007, 15:55
As I keep saying on this forum a type rating with out experience is like an aircraft with no engines! When will you idiots learn this.

I therefore recomend that the next time you attend a CRM course that you pay better attention

Indeed!!!!!

sawaya
14th Sep 2007, 21:19
i said that i would not have to pay for the rating