PDA

View Full Version : Again, 737 no hrs job?

ae-82
13th Sep 2007, 06:46
Hi.
I am sure this is a more than often post………
I have a type-rating on the 737, only no hrs on type.
And now what??? It seems quiet difficult to find a job in this situation. Eaglejet.net is an option, only the money “thing” is not so good.

So here come’s the question: What to do? How can I get hours on Type, without paying the big bugs?

I would be happy with any suggestion or answer.

Cheers.

Just another student
13th Sep 2007, 08:15
Take a look in the Nordic forum at a rather long running thread started by myself, then get your application in. You will get paid, fly the 737 and gain valuable experience there. Sure it is not a perfect company ( what airline is) but it is a great start to your airline career.

Good luck

VNA Lotus
13th Sep 2007, 09:59
It is difficult, the next time think twice before paying a type rating without a job after that. Getting a TR does not guarantie any job.
So do like everybody : send cv, see chief pilot, and do not be interested in only Big jet...

good luck

Just another student
13th Sep 2007, 10:14
Good advice, talk to your training provider, they should help you at least in some way. Mine were very good and no doubt helped me get my first job.

If I hadn´t taken the risk I wouldn´t have my job either and I can honestly say that I would take the risk all over again if I had to.

I would not say I am in an awesome airline, just one that was willing ( for whatever reason ) to give me a chance that others didn´t and I am thankful.

Stay positive and keep applying, there are jobs out there.

ford cortina
13th Sep 2007, 17:03
I don't want to sound ungrateful, but....
I have a 737 rating and over 100 hours on type. My training provider has left me high and dry thankyou very much.
I have written off to every operator in Europe and have had two PFO letters.
Now I see people who trained after me and they now have jobs with no type or few hours on type. Beware if you are going down this route you might get stung.
So all that said..... anybody know anywhere where a very keen and motivated pilot can get a look in??????

Awesome_Welles
13th Sep 2007, 17:14
Will Ryanair not be interested?

ford cortina
13th Sep 2007, 17:26
Well you will laugh at this..... several months ago I was offered a cadet course with CAE even though I already had a type rating and hours on type...
Currently they are asking for 500 hours minimum even so I have invested £50 online so you never know.

VNA Lotus
13th Sep 2007, 18:37
aWsome Wells, is right, he should have tried Ryanair.. why paying TR, when Ryanair give you a job if you pass the selection then go for the TR.

ford cortina
13th Sep 2007, 18:50
Thankyou VNA Lotus for your valuable and thoughtful insight.

I am on the wrong side of 30 and not a know all 22 year old.
Call me cynical but age certainly is a factor in any industry even this one.

inner
13th Sep 2007, 21:34
Where did you do the type rating?

Turkish777
13th Sep 2007, 21:47
I did my 737 TR at SAS Stockholm where the FR Cadets go and I was told I would still have to pay to do the same TR again at the same TRTO...madness..I gave them the PFO this time..

Bealzebub
13th Sep 2007, 22:02
The problem is that airlines looking for type rated pilots, are usually looking for experienced type rated pilots. If they need to type rate the applicant, they generally prefer their own input with the candidates type training course and follow up line training.

Paying to put a type on your licence may look good on the CV, but without any meaningful experience to substantiate it, it carries precious little weight. 500 hours on type represents only 8 to 10 months of average flying for most airlines, and less than a year of relevant experience is obviously not very much at all.

The problem with paying for type ratings and subsequent training is that it may give you a head start, but as that market expands, so the point at which the companies start to pay you a salary ( offer a job) are pushed back further. In other words why pay someone to work for you, if they are perfectly prepared to pay you to have them work for you ?

I am afraid it is a market that has expanded rapidly over the last few years, and I really don't what the answer is.

Awesome_Welles
14th Sep 2007, 06:39
Bond Aviation sell B737 experience. I looked into this a while ago, and on-top of the TR, they offered 100 and 300 hours of B737 experience. Not sure if you can do the hour building if you've not done the TR with them. Worth a look I suppose. Other TRTOs are available of course.:)

All the best finding that experience.

ford cortina
14th Sep 2007, 07:08
I would rather not name the TRTO I went with, but they have been the subject of one or two threads in recent months.
I know of ex students of theirs getting jobs, but most if not all, have had little help once they have finished their line training.
I am not looking to build any more hours, hopefully I will get a job. I just had to vent my frustration at how I feel I have been dealt with.
I could write pages and pages of my experience, but let us just say it was far from satisfactory.
Moral of the story is get everything written down on a contract, when you will start Line Training, how long it will take etc and DON'T EVER pay for anything up front.

J'Mac
14th Sep 2007, 16:02
What then is te problem?:{