PDA

View Full Version : Which Way Now?

blackbirdcruiser
13th Sep 2007, 05:17
Hello everyone!

A little introduction of myself before I start seems appropriate. I've recently turned 18, studying for my A Levels with a few orientation flights in C172 in Louisiana, USA after an exchange programme. I have an SPL (CAAS) since last year to begin with, although I have not started flight training yet due to financial reasons last year. Yes, it is still valid and I'm good to go for training.

I've established that my goals, in ascending order is to be a RSAF pilot, commercial pilot, charter pilot and finally a flight instructor. As you can tell, I simply want to fly for my career and its been my daily goal since young. I could go on about aviation related events that I have participate, but that's not of importance here. Mainly, I want to be a fully certified pilot in the short run. In the long run, I want to want the cockpit to be my office.

I have done my fair amount of research, and I would like to hear what you guys have to say/advise/contribute on the direction which I have to take after much frustration.

SYFC rejected me twice, mainly the first time my O Level EMath score was D7. After which, I retook and scored a B4. And they still rejected me. I felt rather demoralised, but I was encouraged that there is no one sure way of becoming a pilot. Hence, I stuck with the rejection and continued looking elsewhere.

Looking a little over the horizon, flight training in Johor. FRAS, JFC and EFC are attractive but there seems to be competition in terms of success rates, duration and cost. I'm quite confused by the current scene there, and I would like to know if there are any Singaporeans who are currently in active training or have already completed.

What do I do now to get to where I want?

Hit me with the details. My turn to listen.. (:

Fair.Pilot
13th Sep 2007, 05:52
CAAS requires min 5 "O" levels at one attempt. Even if u get a strings of A's in "A" levels, CAAS still requires the above.

If u think of getting a degree and over ride the "O"levels results, it doesn't work! A degree in aeronautical study even from prestigious Embryl Rydell (correct spelling?) might open doors to interview only....

May be more info in SIA cadets thread.... good luck!

dream747
13th Sep 2007, 08:44
I've held a Singapore SPL with the SYFC without having 5 'O' levels at one sitting.

Fair.Pilot
13th Sep 2007, 11:13
SPL practically can be issued to everyone but not CPL or ATPL.
A 50 year old man will be issued a SPL too if he pass all the relevant medical tests.

Check with CAAS if the 5 'O' levels at one sitting still apply.

roxar
13th Sep 2007, 14:48
if u think u can be a pilot why dont u apply direct to FS?...and complete ur CPL and ATPL in just 1year in a half..
:ok:

blackbirdcruiser
14th Sep 2007, 00:15
can you elaborate more, roxar? :)

dream747
14th Sep 2007, 10:45
Currently in Singapore there are students who skip the 'O' levels and go straight for their 'A' level examinations (through train)... in view of this are the requirements likely to change anytime in the future?

SmileAirlines
16th Sep 2007, 16:36
blackbirdcruiser,

It seems that you have made up your mind about your future in aviation industry.. Good on you!!

Since your first choice is the Air Force, it's better to gain some basic flying experience in local flying clubs. Going all the way to CPL is a bit overkill for Air Force.

Flying clubs in Senai are quite good. I gained my PPL from EFC couple of years ago and never regretted my decision. I chose EFC over Fras (JFC was inops during that time) because I have a friend who was with EFC at that time, furthermore I found that EFC ppl is more approachable than Fras. But after spending close to 10 months in Senai, I found both flying clubs are more or less have the same standards.

Another alternative is in Seletar. There are two flying clubs there, and although the cost is more expensive than Senai, but you'll save on travelling time and transport.

Simply put, if you can afford the travelling time, then Senai is a better choice. The training area around Senai is definitely better than training area alpha and bravo above Woodlands. And you will get cross country experience in Senai.

JA

blackbirdcruiser
17th Sep 2007, 09:51
SmileAirlines

I'm in the process of considering for EFC. Could you share with me how the system was like for you as you progress through to your PPL? Was it a weekly basis of ground school before proceeding to sorties? It'll be nice to know, with my school holidays coming around so that I can plan out my time better.

Thanks everyone for the response! (: Its much appreciated! :ok:

SmileAirlines
19th Sep 2007, 16:55
blackbirdcruiser,

check your PM

cruisercruiser
5th Jan 2008, 09:37
Hi guys,

Approximately how much would a PPL cost in the any of the Johor flying clubs? Assumming I'm an average learner.

I'm hoping to get the license over weekends. Do you think there'll be problems of continuity?

Cheers!

cruiser

SmileAirlines
5th Jan 2008, 14:30
cruisercruiser,

It cost me close to 22K Ringgit to get my PPL in EFC, that's inclusive of all the exams fee, books and equipments. But that's in 2005-2006.

About continuity problem, it depends... some people managed to maintain their flying standards even though they only fly once a week, but some people struggle..

However as my ex-instructor put it: "Flying is 10% skill and 90% attitude", so if you put a good attitude towards learning how to fly, you shouldn't encounter any major problem.

JA

FLYCARGO
7th Jan 2008, 08:19
blackbirdcruiser

Instead of getting the PPL, I would sugget you save up your money and enrol in a proper course that will lead you to a CPL with a frozen ATPL. Reason is simple:

1. A PPL is not cheap and the cost will depend on how many hrs you need to be ready for the flight test. Don't forget the transport cost that u will incur to travel up and down malaysia. Your time wasted on travelling which you can spend on your studies. Get a good grade for your 'A' level especially on your maths and science so that you can prove to the Airforce or Airline recruitment that you can do it.

2. Also PPL is just leisure flying and there's also cost involve to maintain it. Example singapore required you to fly 5hrs a year to maintain it. And medical fees every year is 200++ . There's also the licence renewal fees. so why waste all these money.

3.Most important of all. In case next time you decide to go for your CPL. Your PPL will only give you a few hrs exemption. At most 40hrs. you still need to start all over on the ground school again as all those paper you have taken for PPL does not give you any exemptions except for RT.

So concentrate on your A levels now and save up for a proper CPL course. Since you are keen in the Airforce, go ahead and apply for it when you finish your A levels. If you didn't get into the Airforce, then use that money to go for a proper course.

Talk to the Airforce Recruitment. Find out their recruitment criteria and policy. Call CAAS, find out what their stand is. Is A level cert sufficient? is 'O' level cert a must. If you have a chance,talk to the airline recruitment. All these will help you make wiser decisions.

Meantime, just read up more on Aviation books. Good Aviation knowledge will definitely help you in your future interviews.

Good Luck!