PDA

View Full Version : hi all!

draccent
13th Sep 2007, 03:52
yeah my first post. Just wanted to say hello to all. Im a student pilot and have about 35 hours so far. working on my license. Im glad to have found a forum for this. Ive always been an automotive forum guy and never really looked around until now for this...nice!

tmmorris
13th Sep 2007, 06:58
Hi. You'll find all sorts here - students like yourself, relatively inexperienced PPLs, PPLs like me who are just starting to think they know what they are doing (and are therefore dangerous!), guys with thousands of hours and instrument ratings...

If you're used to automotive forums, you'll find the etiquette is much the same (no SHOUTING, read the posts first before duplicating someone else's question, no personal abuse, no adverts, &c.).

And people seem to be really nice. Even the ones who keep having the same arguments over and over again...

Tim

Mr Bimble
13th Sep 2007, 11:59
Yes, I'm a long time lurker (>18 months) just hanging around reading threads and learning what I can.

Just done my QXC after about 35ish hours and hopefully getting to the test sometime soon...

Currently flying with LAC from Barton - it's just generally fab this aviation thing isn't it?

draccent
15th Sep 2007, 04:05
thanks for the welcome! Im definetly eager to learn. Im not sure what I want to do with flying but I know I want to fly one way or the other. yeah...Im pretty familiar with forum ettiquete. This is pretty cool!

Them thar hills
15th Sep 2007, 06:50
DR
Welcome and have fun.
The crocodiles will still get you !!:)
tth

Pilot DAR
16th Sep 2007, 19:09
Draccent,

You will probably get the most from this forum, and the genuine good will of it's participants if you respect that for many here aviation is a passion and often a career. After more than thirty years in aviation, the most important thing I have learned is that there will always be something else to learn, thus someone else to teach it. Aviators are eager to spread their passion far and wide, to those they consider worthy. After all, why waste one's time directing an effort to a person who will not appreciate it, or take it seriously? I do my very best to never antagonize anyone, as they might be a teacher now, or in the future. Kids I took flying 25 years ago, are now very experienced pilots, with a lot to teach me!

The same caution extends to commenting negatively on aircraft types. Each aircraft type, for better or not so much, has it's following. Why insult them? Those people probably have a wealth of knowledge as to how to get the most out of that type of aircraft. Why not rub those people the right way, and just ask for help?

One of the sayings includes a phrase that there are "no old bold pilots". I have met some young ones, and a few are still alive. How one approaches the people of aviation will say a lot about how you will approach aviation itself. If you want to endear yourself to those aviators who really have the wisdom you want, approach slowly, and with respect. Treat them as you would want them to see you treating their aircraft, should they allow you to fly it.

One PPrune member who was a new pilot on the other side of the world when she first communicated with me, has now had many hours of flying with me, and my support to be employed in an enviable project development job in aviation, with great opportunities, simply because she used the right approach. The only thing she ever knocked in her communication with me, were people who knocked her first.

35 hours is a great accomplishment, congratulations. Soon I'll have that in helicopters - I'm a newbie there for sure, I tread very lightly. However, my 5000+ hours in 120 fixed wing aircraft (including C172's) make me nearly bold enough to suggest that you to ease into aviation, and spread out the experience, You'll enjoy it longer!

Today's free wisdom, for whatever it's worth,

Pilot DAR

Them thar hills
16th Sep 2007, 20:04
DR
35 hours so nearly there !
One simple rule to observe, .... you should try for the same number of takeoffs as landings ! :)

draccent
16th Sep 2007, 22:44
Pilot Dar.....your 100 percent right. I was just in an awful mood about flying and it ended up in here. I think Ill spend more time reading on here, before I go on ranting.

Thanks for not flaming me too badly!