PDA

View Full Version : Tigermoth Crash

Avi8tor
12th Sep 2007, 18:15
Seeing reports of a tiger crashing on a road south of JHB. Any ideas of Reg and who?

WhinerLiner
12th Sep 2007, 19:38
Disgusting

Avi8tor
12th Sep 2007, 20:06
My heartfelt condolences to the families.

What on earth would make anybody attack the survivor of an aircraft accident? That is a bad as raping the survivors of the Vicount in Zim in the late '70's.

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Sep 2007, 21:29
Not the first. Small aircraft did a forced lob into a dam near Springs a few years back and the survivors were mugged and beaten by a mob as they got ashore. Left with nothing but their underwear. One of them was quite badly injured in the crash as well IIRC.

DropTheDunlops
13th Sep 2007, 05:38
Spoken to the pilot who survived the crash and was lucid throughout the post accident events - the assault definitely did not happen!!!

Just a case of pure sensationalism. Hasn't it been traumatic enough?

The pilot has had surgery and is on the road to recovery and doing well.

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Sep 2007, 06:36
Interesting. Another site apparently has witnesses who saw the assault. :confused:

Avi8tor
13th Sep 2007, 06:43
I trust that the 'witnesses' are telling a 2nd hand story. Really would remove all faith I have in SA and its people.

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Sep 2007, 07:28
Pilot's father apparently knows of the assault.

From 702 News Radio website:

TOP STORY
Injured pilot 'beaten by crash victims’
The father of the pilot of plane which crashed into a truck in southern Joburg has told 702 Eyewitness News his son was attacked by taxi commuters after the crash.
The aircraft plunged into a truck late yesterday afternoon, it then collided with a car. The vehicle then crashed into a minibus taxi.
Two people, including the Antique Tigermoth bi-plane's co-pilot were killed, while 23 more were injured.
A devastated Mike Simpson says his son Glen was still strapped to his seat when angry commuters started kicking him.
This is corroborated by an eyewitness who has written on an aviation website. Simpson says his son is now in a stable condition.
Police will today try and question several people injured a freak plane crash in southern Joburg.
The plane plunged into truck in the Eikenhof area yesterday. This caused the truck to then crash into a car which slammed into a mini-bus.
Two people including the aircraft's pilot were killed and 23 more were injured.

DtD...?

patricia dean
13th Sep 2007, 07:38
The pilots Dad was on radio news- can't understand or see that he would lie about it?

oompilot
13th Sep 2007, 07:50
Since my last thread was removed, it was thought provoking but true, a more diplomatic reply would be, there seem to be a certain group of savages dwelling in South Africa!

rodmur
13th Sep 2007, 09:11
Road-plane crash: experts to be called

13 September 2007, 09:44
Related Articles

Plane plummets into traffic (http://www.thestar.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=&fArticleId=vn20070913040546922C246475)

By Gill Gifford

The official cause of the accident in which a 1934 canary yellow vintage Tiger Moth plane crashed onto the R553 Grasmere Road outside Eikenhof
on Wednesday leaving two people dead and 23 injured will not be known for months.

Civil Aviation Authority spokesperson Phindi Gwebu said on Thursday morning:
"We are still investigating the accident and will have to call in various experts along the way. But the minimum time we are looking at until completion is three months."

On Wednesday pilot Glenn Simpson ,32, was flying with passenger Johan van Vuuren when he was forced to land on the R553.

Metro police, emergency services and paramedics on the scene all maintain that the exact chain
of events was unclear, but three vehicles were involved in a massive collision.

Van Vuuren was killed in the crash, and Simpson broke his thigh bone and sustained several other cuts and injuries.

"It's difficult to work out, but it seems like the plane hit three cars. One of them was a Mercedes Sprinter bus loaded with security guards. One
of them was killed and several others injured.

An old-shape Mercedes sedan was involved, and that driver was injured and taken to hospital.
And then there was a Mazda Sprinter truck carrying door frames. That driver was seriously injured and air-lifted to Union Hospital in Alberton," said Malcolm Midgley of Johannesburg Emergency Services.

Capt Megathrust
13th Sep 2007, 10:23
If this disgusting behaviour really happened then why is there no mention of it publically. Why does the media not mention this behaviour. No animal would behave like that to one of its own. It beggars the imagination how Glenn must feel having just survived a horrific crash, to receive no help just multiple kicks in the head. It leaves a slightly sick feeling in my stomach. I trust he recovers well, and condolences to the family of the passenger who died, but let this behaviour be exposed and dealt with by the police.

patricia dean
13th Sep 2007, 10:55
This story has been on 702 and 94.7 news most of the morning.

Xtra
13th Sep 2007, 11:08
Dear everyone.

Having spent many years in Africa and in many countries, let me tell you all alittle something.
"Your life is cheap"
To push it even further... as they say when Mandela dies, then see whats gonna happen....check it out everyone it all over the net.... and dont think its not gonna happen.
If anyone wants horrific pictures send me a PM.

Xtra

Jamex
13th Sep 2007, 12:09
Tell me where I can do my own research on this. You have anything to do with the Suidlanders? 'Cause what they are pushing isnt for me!:rolleyes: Anyway, I'm not going to be stashing food, supplies, etc as I'm still eating out of cans bought in '94!;)

Xtra
13th Sep 2007, 13:58
I`m just a good old aviation contract worker all over Africa, nothing to do with the people you mentioned.
Google the before mentioned topic, even better try "Night of the long knives" but disregard the historical topic.
Not about to start a huge discussion, but I know "what people are capable of", been there seen it and ran away very fast.

Xtra

Jetwhite
13th Sep 2007, 15:31
Would suggest as a sign of soladarity,with the pilot who was brutaly attacked by these animals,that all South African pilots stage a 24 hour no work policy.
This would be covered by all the international news media,and would highlight the grusome savage crimes that exist in South Africa.
It might even create a wake up call for the lame duck President of South Africa.
When thousands of passengers in South Africa and abroad are stranded.

nugpot
13th Sep 2007, 15:39
Would suggest as a sign of soladarity,with the pilot who was brutaly attacked by these animals,that all South African pilots stage a 24 hour no work policy.
This would be covered by all the international news media,and would highlight the grusome savage crimes that exist in South Africa.

That's easy to say for a retired pilot in Australia. It will only hurt our respective employers, who I am sure, had nothing to do with the attack.

Idealism and reality are different words for a reason........

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Sep 2007, 16:24
...brutaly attacked by these animals...

No animal would behave in that manner.

oompilot
13th Sep 2007, 19:29
Jetwhite I get your point, but I reckon the majority of the world already know about these crimes and can’t really say much because this is the government they wanted in power, and achieved this by implementing such things as sanctions on SA to give but one example. I honestly don’t think there would be any sleepless politicians around here even if the incident were broadcast world wide. Look at Bob, he doesn’t seem to be collapsing under stress at his ripe old age!

Pietre
14th Sep 2007, 08:06
The plane's reg - ZS BXB

fluffyfan
14th Sep 2007, 08:40
Africa....... :ugh:

oompilot
14th Sep 2007, 09:30
Suitcaseman I think we’re on the same page, but I think using lack of experience as an excuse is not just. There are other indigenous governments all over Africa who have been in power for many years but to no avail. Their land of milk and honey is more a case of blood and starvation. There is no pattern just consistency. This sort of violent action after an air disaster happens all over Africa. Viva!

Avvy
14th Sep 2007, 11:08
suitcaseman i hear you. never thought i would leave this country but its time to join the world where family are safe....er!

Goldfish Jack
14th Sep 2007, 15:29
Pilot's family now denying he was beaten up.

U know if you read and believe everything u read/hear in the quality SA press we have gotten here now we would all be dead, animals would run the country and SAA would be making a profit!!

Glad to hear Glen is on the road to recovery, my condolences to his family.

Come on chaps lets check our facts before we go bashing. Things are down a bit in the country and we dont need this to make it worse.

This is still a great country and has a lot going for it. I got no plans to leave.

SAT_BOSS
15th Sep 2007, 08:48
Guys,
Very sad about the crash and loss of life. I would just like to get clarity once and for all IF;
The poor surviving pilot was beaten up or not, last post says that his family says he was not beaten up by the crowd of the Taxi so can anyone that actually knows the family or even the survivor tell us exactly what happened after the accident?

Thanks and my condolences to ALL the deceased people and those injured

starcrest
16th Sep 2007, 07:47
A Tiger Moth leads to Armageddon!!

Sad to hear of the loss of life and fine old machine. But I am appalled at the thread running through this Thread. Perhaps it simply reflects the state of a bruised country, perhaps crime is so bad that anything associated with 'that mob' is jumped on with fury, perhaps....?

I wonder if a Tiger pranged on the M4 in England and caused a multiple pile up, injuries and death whether the public would automtically side with the pilot (who accidentally caused the prang in the first place) if, let's say, some bereaved or peeved motorist slapped his face.

I wonder...................................:confused:

PS Anyone know what caused the Tiger to plummet onto a busy highway?

Captain Pheremone
16th Sep 2007, 20:07
Ok maybe off topic ..I didn't crash...Had a wonderful weekend down the coast with brother and associated women (listening to Jhn Irelands - "I like hmm with you - -thanks guys) until having a last dop in the hotel bar with my boet, 3 xxxxx "broke" open brand new Trellydoor, roughed up the chicks, stole wallets, phones watches jewellry ....luckily that was all. In this day and age they were v.v.v.v.v.lucky.

Stole my camera, binoculars, car keys and of course my brandy. Girls OK otherwise..... ...makes me sooo mad.

OK I am just another statistic but it pisses me off.

The sad thing about Glens incident is I completely believe it possible which actually makes me quite sad.:{

oompilot
17th Sep 2007, 07:17
After reading Starcrest’s thread you lucky you weren’t in England. Someone could have slapped you. That would've really shaken you up!

starcrest
17th Sep 2007, 07:43
After reading Starcrest’s thread you lucky you weren’t in England. Someone could have slapped you. That would've really shaken you up!

Hee hee, good one Oom.

I just love the absolute and unbridled merge between aviation and crime - good thing most aircraft don't have keys....

lostchild
8th Aug 2013, 18:08
Hi there. Is there anyone out there who really knows the truth about the Tiger Moth plane crash on 12 September 2007........ Not the same old no plane error no pilot error. The truth.....