PDA

View Full Version : How did you manage 'Africa route' financially?

macc
12th Sep 2007, 12:59
Hey,

Different than most people, I am really interested in going to Africa after I get my licences in Europe. Start up in Maun Bots or something and work my way up from there, instead of trying to enter big airliners immediately. I think it would be hell of an experience.

What Im really wondering is how people, who took the same route, managed this financially, because even if you go modular route, a CPL/IR don't come cheap. So I, as a student, would probably have to take a loan from the bank for this part of training. But as a low timer in Bots you don't earn even near enough to pay this back immediately.
So, do people who take this route just wait a couple of years before paying back or don't take a loan at all and just work really hard next to training? (would be really hard for me if I am still studying by then)

I am really interested in how other people managed this.

Thanks in advance.

Foxyflyer
14th Sep 2007, 08:21
Hey Macc :)
I came to Africa to fly already holding JAA licence ( in fact before JAA I held both UK and Irish cpl's) and had plenty of hours. SA CAA made me do all exams and flight tests. Since then have done SA atpl. If you want to fly in Africa, I would advise that you come to SA and do your licence here. Just as good as any european licence and a whole lot cheaper. Also SA is a fantastic country, simply stunning. Check out Virginia Flight School in Durban. Great place to do your training. Of course if you intend to fly in Europe at any time you will eventually have to do their exams, even if you hold another ICAO ATPL. If you only hold a cpl, any african country will require you to do exams. Only if you hold an ATPL will you get away with an air law exam and a flight test for validation.
Hope this helps. FF :ok:

M80
15th Sep 2007, 09:33
Hi MACC,

Foxyflyer is probably right - go to SA. Before coming down, make sure you have enough hours to convert directly to the country's CPL where you're intending to work. See my other post for my current fun and games...

macc
15th Sep 2007, 12:06
Thanks for the awnsers, I will consider going to SA. Looks great.

btw, here some nice c210 low flying in Africa, nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmKn6Cyht4A

macc
24th Nov 2007, 13:57
Sorry for bumping an older topic, but I have some further questions.

Is it possible to get your frozen ATPL in SA schools instead of only CPL/IR (so that you do ATPL theory instead of CPL theory like you can do in Europe)?

And is it possible to get a 206 rating at SA schools before heading to Namibia or Bots?

Thanks in advance.