PDA

View Full Version : Can i obtain medical with a Bowel Disease?

slackjack
11th Sep 2007, 22:19
Hi All,
I like many have a dream of one day learning to fly... I have a realistic chance of going far with it if its for me due to my circumstances of being 22 and earning good money within IT right now and saving some good ££s. However...

I was diagnosed with a controlable bowel condition earlier this year unfortunately called Ulcerative Colitus out the blue... Its a condition that stays under wraps for possibly sometimes years, before it may "flare-up" and cause me a few weeks of great discomfort in the digestion region. Since my initial flare-up, i've lived a normal life with regards to health and touch wood no flare-up since...

This is my only health issue, as all apart from this I am a fit and healthy guy. However, it is a disease which means in theory I have it life-long.

Any of you guys heard/know anyone with anything similar?

Would you have any ideas how this may affect medicals?

Thanks for your time.

Daysleeper
12th Sep 2007, 17:55
First off the bad news

JAR–FCL 3.290
Digestive system – Disorders

(c) Applicants with an established diagnosis or history of chronic inflammatory bowel disease shall [ ] be assessed as unfit (see paragraph 3 Appendix 3 to Subpart C).

Then the good news from the appendix (appropriately enough)

3 . Inflammatory bowel disease is acceptable provided that it is in established remission and stabilised and that systemic steroids are not required for its control.

These are from the latest DRAFT proposals so it may change again. AFAIK the position on UC and chron's has now gone from complete ban, through minimum 1 year remission post surgery to this rather more relaxed stance. Which is positive as medical tech on IB is changing rapidly.

CAA medical are really quite friendly and you will get the latest advice from them....you may have to wait till this draft is adopted before getting a medical though?

Saab Dastard
12th Sep 2007, 22:42
CAA medical are really quite friendly and you will get the latest advice from them

Hear, hear! Call them up and discuss it with them.

SD

slackjack
13th Sep 2007, 08:59
Thanks both Daysleep and Saab.

Thats kind of bad and good news there! But sounds like they're taking a more broader stance on the condition which is good, as when it is in remission - you're perfectly well... and this may be the case for many years (and in my case hoping that I never have another flair-up :cool:).

I'm not on any kind of steroids and hope never to be, which is also good news.

I shall see if I can contact them about it for more info. The only niggle though that's in my mind, is that they could change the rules on this as time goes on which wouldn't be so good if I'd commited myself on something.

Cheers