PDA

View Full Version : Three 'air rage' airliners diverted to Shannon

corsair
11th Sep 2007, 20:18
http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0911/airrage.html

Three air rage planes diverted to Shannon
Tuesday, 11 September 2007 20:53
A total of three flights have been redirected to Shannon Airport after alleged air rage incidents.

A number of people are in custody.

Two people were arrested following the first alleged air rage incident on board a transatlantic jet this afternoon.

AdvertisementMartinair flight 621 was forced to divert to Shannon where it landed safely at 3.40pm.

There were 233 passengers on board the aircraft which was en route from Amsterdam to Cuba.

Gardaí were waiting at Shannon when the plane landed and two people, a man and a woman, believed to be from Ukraine were arrested on suspicion of public order offences.

They are being held at Shannon Garda Station.

That flight was cleared for take-off before 6pm this evening to continue its flight to Cuba.

The second alleged air rage incident occurred on a Delta Airlines flight from Istanbul to JFK.

The flight was diverted to Shannon where it landed at around 6.30pm this evening.

Gardaí arrested a man who is believed to be an Iranian national.

A third flight was diverted to Shannon after 7pm this evening. That flight departed Manchester and was en route to Toronto and has 187 passengers on board.

Gardaí are at the airport and are assessing the situation.

At this rate Shannon will be busier than Heathrow. Is there a full moon tonight?:confused:

niallbhoy
11th Sep 2007, 20:36
People are usually just more nervous of flying on Sept 11th and then drink a load before the flight and during the flight.

WAIF-er
11th Sep 2007, 20:45
was the man-yyz flight the globespan by any chance?

monkeyboy
11th Sep 2007, 21:42
No, but it does have a blue tail with a globe on it......:}

Captain Planet
11th Sep 2007, 22:02
To be honest,I think September 11th is probably the safest day of the year to travel by air, who would be stupid enough to attempt something on a day where all airports are very weary of anything suspicious

Nov71
11th Sep 2007, 22:19
Dare I suggest 'wary' not 'weary' of 9/11, though I am in the second group.

Could it be pax crossing the pond today are a little more aware of others whom they cannot understand being less than obedient.
PS I do not know the nature of the potential 'public order' offences in any of the 3 cases but they occur on the other 364 days somewhere

Basil
12th Sep 2007, 09:26
Is there a full moon tonight?
Quite the reverse - 1st of Ramadan in fact

nitro rig driver
12th Sep 2007, 13:30
"Quite the reverse - 1st of Ramadan in fact"

not yet-predicted tomorrow 13sept :{

ladyflyby
13th Sep 2007, 19:51
My flight to THR is packed and overbooked, every single day of the year, apart from this Tuesday, 11th September. We had less than 1/3 of the normal amount of passengers. Many people see the day as jinxed.

derekl
14th Sep 2007, 23:34
I flew on VS020 SFO-LHR departing 9/10 flying through the night and landing 9/11. Every seat taken, overbooked by 12. PAX offered a free round trip on any Virgin route and an overnight stay in the Hyatt SFO to delay a day.