PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

Kengineer-130
11th Sep 2007, 18:10
Being extremley hacked off with the RAF :*:mad:, I am looking to get some good quals under my belt and get out sharpish.
But, is LAE the way to go? I have done 9 years on a large multi-engined aircraft, and love the work in general as you have to use your brain a bit :ok:, but I don't like the fact that engineers are treated like second class citizens, and the forces in general are in meltdown.
My main concern about LAE is the fact there seems to be no real carrer path as such, once you have your B1 licence you either take a permy job at 32-40k a year, after spending a few years and lots of £££ getting your licence and soldier on, or take the risk and go contracting.... Also, a lot of the better paid positions seem to be overseas, and I don't really want to be out of the country for long periods of time.
So basically, is it worth time time and effort to get a B1, or would I be better off looking at a different trade altogether?

NutLoose
11th Sep 2007, 22:07
If you wish to stay in engineering GO FOR IT........... use the RAF and screw as much out of them as you can, courses etc...go for your licence whilst being paid to do so, I didn't and regretted it. remember Bay work ddoes not count, well it did not when I left....

I spent a couple of years self studying and got there, the money is infinitaly better, you may well still feel like you get treated as a second class citizen at times BUT you do have the option to tell that person to shove it where the sun don't shine and walk :ooh:

It will also increase your earning power as a contractor as well in the UK........ there are companies that are crying out for people..... Exeter rings a bell.................

With a licence and herc experience the likes of Marshalls would be interested and the pay would be a hell of a lot better with a licence........

you can self study, if needed I might be able to find you some links, but is the education centre still as dire as when I left?

Kengineer-130
11th Sep 2007, 23:36
The education centre is a f***ing joke, there is a big fat jabba the hut like woman who is totally dis-interested, unless YOU have the information they have not got a clue :ugh::mad:...... I am also considering going for house/industrail services such as spaky/ plumber, as the money seems a lot better and far less hassle :bored:, but seems a shame to waste 9 years of experience.... Do you know Doc by the way? :ok:

Rigga
15th Sep 2007, 22:26
K,
The first thing you learn on the "greener" side is that you have to do it all for yourself.
...Go and get all the info YOU need and then throw it at her (to do her job) Don't let her inability/inactivity be your loss.