PDA

View Full Version : How to do it and the possibilities?

xbilz
11th Sep 2007, 16:08
My Dear Fellow Members,

Like a few other threads, I am also asking a few questions that have been asked before but I would kindly ask employed airline pilots and modular students or qualified modular students to consider my situation and reply. I know, only I can make a decision but I would like to get some recommendations and the possibilities, to make it well calculated. This thread might help others who are in the similar position like mine. I have searched a lot on these threads but the information is all over the place

I am a 31 year old IT Engineer/Project Manager, Married and have a 3 month old son. Like many, I did not have privileged background so had to work and save every possible penny to be able to afford the cost of Airline Pilot training. In due course, I crossed the desired age group but the love of aeroplanes and flying is as hot as it has ever been. Although, I have recently been accepted on an MBA course at a red-brick university in London but this is not something I want. I am completely unable to focus on anything and thoughts of not being a pilot takes the soul out of me. I even have sleepless nights due to frustration and not being a pilot. I know I should have started it a couple of years back but could not get my head around the plan. However, I would like to ask;

1) Am I too old now to start the training? Everyone has heard stories of older than 31 getting jobs but is it realistic when you have 20 something from integrated courses?

2) Do airlines take low hour pilots with modular route? Would they consider someone age 32-33 with 200+hrs?

3) If I start modular route at this stage, Can I accelerate it to finish in 1 year? (This is quicker than integrated .. ins't?!!! I can take a year off work to do it and modular route will save a lot of money for TR)

4) Can I brighten up my chances, if I do type rating on either A320 or B737? Which is better in terms of job prospects and demand?

5) What is the best plan from ab-initio to CPL/IR and possible T/R and best schools to do modular? incl. USA option

6) What are the likely prospects of jobs as an airline pilot?

Please add what I might have missed. I would be highly obliged for your time. Much appreciate your concern.

Best Wishes to All Wannabes !

Nozwaldo
12th Sep 2007, 11:30
xbilz,

I can only help you with your first question by way of explaining my situation.
I've been flying now for 6 years & I'm currently hour building to get the 150hrs required to start the CPL course. I'm following the modular route & have completed ATPL groundschool. I'll be looking to do ME,CPL,MEIR,MCC next year. Due to my current work situation I won't be able to work as a pilot (subject to getting that far!) until August 2009. I'm 39 years old now & so I know you aren't too old to start training. It's obvious from your post this is what you want to do, so go for it. I'll be 41 by the time my CV's/applications go out and I'm more than willing to compete with the 20 somethings as I think those of us who are a little older bring other positive qualities that I hope are recognised by the recruiting teams for airlines. I have heard of people in their 40's getting good job offers & hope that I'm not wasting my time and money chasing this but it is what I want to do for a second career & will follow it to the end, wherever that may be. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Noz

CAT3C AUTOLAND
12th Sep 2007, 17:10
Chaps,

If you do extensive searches within these forums, you will find some useful information regarding your questions.

I can answer a couple of your questions directly. Do airlines take people who are 32 - 33 with 200+, well, yes I was taken on and I was 32 when I got my first airline job and I was modular.

You can do a modular course just as quick as doing an integrated course if you are full time, so no problem there and you will save yourself a few quid.

With regard to the TR, I would research this one, on what is currently being sort by the airlines. I know a few guys at GECAT were not getting jobs quite as quickly as they wanted through the industry being saturated by B737 pilots. A friend of mine did the B757 course and was offered 5 jobs! Airbus seems like a good choice, worked for me, but again, not sure what the demand is like at the moment.

With regard to flying in the USA, all I can say is I had a great time flying out there, it was brilliant fun. I don't have any experience of doing professional courses state side, but the PPL and hour building was great. I elected to do all my professional training in England.

What are the prospects of an airline pilot? Well, It took me a while to get there, but all I can say, if you love your job, you will never work again :ok:.

All the best with what you decide.

Cheers.

Pressure Error
12th Sep 2007, 19:16
Here is quite a long reply, sorry!

I am also 31 and also an Engineer/Project manager. I caught the bug during a trial lesson is 1999, got my PPL issued in 2003 (took a break in the middle due to a promotion at work that would pay for the training) Hour built whilst studying for ATPL exams with Bristol GS this was do-able with a full time job that also required weekend working + week day overtime + Standby + wife + HNC Course, I found a pace that worked and took 18 months to pass all the exams, you need a strategy when Annual holiday is used for the exams because there are limits on Exam attempts and sittings and a maximum duration from the first exam pass, I could not study to the same standards as a CTC sponsored students but this was my only option, my eggs were not in the same basket and I didn’t owe any money. I then did my CPL in October 2005, completed my IR in July 2006, flew 5 more hours for license requirement and then had my CPL/SP,MEP,IR (Frozen ATPL) issued in September 2006 did my MCC on 767 at Crainbank December 2006. Then had a baby so didn’t apply for any jobs. Renewed my IR in July and now have a current license and a 15year career with no aviation financial debt.
On reflection I could have done things better, cheaper and quicker but I wouldn’t have paid of as much of the mortgage. I have enjoyed every thing so far flown in France and Australia for holidays, seeing more than I would have done without a license. I now have lots of options open to me.
On my journey so far on the modular road 80% of the people I have met have been in the same situation as me, most have been older some younger, all that want to now work for Airlines or instruct.
In answer to the questions:-

Q1) Am I too old now to start the training? Everyone has heard stories of older than 31 getting jobs but is it realistic when you have 20 something from integrated courses?

A) No not to old, why not do both until your sure. Every one I have met over 31 has a job, the oldest has now moved through so many seats in the food chain he now fly’s for BA mainline. A good team of pilots would include all ages, training routes and experience levels.

Q2) Do airlines take low hour pilots with modular route? Would they consider someone age 32-33 with 200+hrs?

A) As above & yes some will actively recruit low hours current pilots. Others will take the best they can get but will sometimes need to fill a SIM slot and the CAA set the minimum requirements that they will take, you can get lucky.

Q3) If I start modular route at this stage, Can I accelerate it to finish in 1 year? (This is quicker than integrated .. ins't?!!! I can take a year off work to do it and modular route will save a lot of money for TR.

A) You can do the modular route as quickly as you can pass the exams & Tests, you will need structure to your training and some employers like to see all the training at the same school.

Q4) Can I brighten up my chances, if I do type rating on either A320 or B737? Which is better in terms of job prospects and demand?

A) Yes & No. I know people who have SSTR some have jobs some don’t, again compare the airline to any large company you have worked for, HR will run the show and it’s a lot easier to get in if you know some one who will open the door for you. Question what’s in it for the person dangling the carrot of employment.

Q5) what is the best plan from ab-initio to CPL/IR and possible T/R and best schools to do modular? Incl. USA option

A) Every ones plan is different, but you need to have one, get your PPL at a convenient place, once your in the loop you will get enough background to do another search for schools. I cant help with USA

Q6) what are the likely prospects of jobs as an airline pilot?

A) Better now than at any other time in last 6 years. Could change tomorrow or get better the next day, no one will be able to answer this, however a lot of people will take 35k from you and tell you the answer you want to hear.

Best of luck
PE