PDA

View Full Version : PPL: Time to reach 150 flight hours

tncmdream
11th Sep 2007, 15:36
Good afternoon everone,

So i simply wish to know how long can it take to do about 150-160 flight hours?

If starting my PPL course early october, can i hold about 160 hours before january?

I wish to start modular course at intercockpit.

Good day.

99jolegg
11th Sep 2007, 15:55
You'd be hard pushed to fit 160 hours into 3 months, especially as you aren't just hour building, you are learning the ropes too. It roughly equates to 13 hours a week which is a lot when you consider the weather as a big factor in delaying your progress.

tncmdream
11th Sep 2007, 16:00
Oh well..i guess i have no choice but to apply for the next session.

How long do you expect to do about 150 hours then?
4 months? 5 maybe?

99jolegg
11th Sep 2007, 16:07
It depends upon your flight school, your location (UK weather is pretty naff at the best of times) and the time you have to devote to flying each week. You'll have the 7 ground exams to do if you haven't already done so.

It's certainly possible but don't bet on it.

tncmdream
11th Sep 2007, 16:18
Oh no i will be doing my portugal, under great weather.
I have no time to waste in the north.

i will try flying everyday, if not every 2 days.

MarkColeman
11th Sep 2007, 18:13
i did ppl and 130 hours in florida in 10 weeks

draining but it can be done

Brian304
12th Sep 2007, 00:01
I did about 6 hours a day in florida, but that was hard pushed. Got physically aswell as emotionally dried out after doing that much flying. You should be averagely aiming to do about 3-4 hours a day with regular breaks in the middle of each sortie to enjoy and experience the flying. But shouldn't be a problem to get 150 in about 3 weeks in good weather, and a very determined heart, but that fully depends on you.
Brian304:}

Frank Furillo
12th Sep 2007, 07:49
0 to 150 in nine weeks in Florida, back in 2003. Left with FAA PPL and also converted it to JAA PPL.
Dammed hard work and I did lots of night flying, really enjoyed it though.

Pieman007
12th Sep 2007, 09:05
I take it you want to start CPL IR modular training afterwards? If that is the case then look into starting the IR first. You dont need 150TT, just 70P1 for the multi and one or two other bits and bobs but you can start the modular sooner

Simon150
12th Sep 2007, 10:46
Thats an interesting point.

It's something I have been thinking about although since I am only a coupe of hours away from my 150h TT, not something I have been pursuing.

If you do whats seen as the 'conventional' modular route of PPL,CPL,TEIR - you basically do your PPL (45h), hour build up to 150h, do your CPL training which takes you to 175h, then TEIR which takes about 55h, and takes you to a total of 230h. As you fly past the 200h mark you get awarded your CPL ticket.

An alternative could be to do your PPL,TEIR then CPL. You do your PPL (45H TT which gives you about 10hP1), then build up another 60 to get 70P1 hours to start the TEIR which takes 55hoursish. This means you get your TEIR with about 160HTT under your belt, and then CPL training takes you to 185. You then need to build another 15hours to get 200H for CPL licence issue. You would find yourself short of P1 hours, so you need another 15H to take you up to the 100P1 hours you need for CPL Issue.

So....basically (and roughly - I am at work so typing quickly!)

PPL-CPL-TEIR - about 230HTT on completion

PPL-TEIR-CPL - about 215HTT on completion

Does that sound right? Is it actually cheaper to do it the that way round or am I missing something.

I realise there are night ratings etc to do, but in principle - thats it - right?

Pieman007
12th Sep 2007, 12:57
Thats exactly the way I did it. PPL, JAA exams, ME, MEIR, then lastly the CPL which was on the multi. I ended up with the blue book on 200.2 hrs. I never quite understood why people took the CPL before the MEIR. I think it came from the integrated world but there is no need in the modular world. The only half valid argument I heard was that it is difficult to come from 55hrs Instrument flying back to 15 hrs VFR flying for the CPL.
It took a whole 10 minutes to get back into VFR flying, so its not a problem.