PDA

View Full Version : Southampton Boat Show

drauk
11th Sep 2007, 13:53
I want to fly to the Southampton Boat Show on Monday. Don't much care about hefty landing fees, but I understand that Southampton are fully booked. What is the next most convenient airfield? 400m or so of grass will do it.

FullyFlapped
11th Sep 2007, 20:38
Lee-on-Solent ?

FF :ok:

Fuji Abound
11th Sep 2007, 20:52
Forget Lee on Solent - almost impossible to get permission.

Alternatives are:

Bembridge - dead cheap, but it is a taxi ride and ferry - 30 mins to Cowes plus the ferry. Actually not too bad if you have an hour to spare each way. Ask Bembridge nicely in bound and they will even have the taxi waiting.

Goodwood - about 50 mins by taxi. Can be a hassle getting a taxi.

Do a search on here, there is one strip closer but I cant remember the location or length.

Southampton will usually take you but you need to try the handlers rather than the airport - of course about a £40 premium.

airborne_artist
11th Sep 2007, 21:24
Bournemouth or http://www.lowerupham.com/index.htm - Upham is about 20 mins by taxi and has 648 m 04/22.

DBisDogOne
12th Sep 2007, 12:27
Try Popham, 'bout 25mins from Southampton. Can go by taxi all the way or taxi to Winchester then train direct to Southampton, ten minute walk to the site at Mayflower Park.

Fried_Chicken
16th Sep 2007, 12:17
How about Farley Farm, near Romsey?

I'm sure somebody can give details of this strip but I know it's fairly easy to get from Romsey to Southampton (City)

Fried Chicken