PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to the US with Prescription Medication

Shack37
10th Sep 2007, 14:27
I know there is a thread where this has been covered but, search as I may, I can't find it.
I'm going to the US next month to join a vessel for an offshore project lasting about one month so I need to carry prescription medication to cover this period.
Is there a problem with US Customs / Immigration with this?
Any advice gratefully received that helps avoid last minute complications entering the USA.
s37:ok:

west lakes
10th Sep 2007, 16:39
Best bet is to get & carry a letter from your GP. Also take original packaging or details of what you use as strengths/names could be different.
I have carried insulin & needles into & out of the states, the only ones interested are TSA.
Note (maybe a US prooner can confirm) that in the US their prescription concept is different, where we get a seperate one each time we need the medication, I think they have a "permanant" system that they use as required

Addendum,just noticed your location, I was above referring to the UK

Shack37
10th Sep 2007, 20:25
West Lakes,
Thanks for that. For prescription purposes I'm still UK NHS so the GP letter looks like the way to go. Names and strengths shouldn't be an issue as I intend to carry enough for my stay and in the original packaging as provided by the pharmacy.
s37:ok:

strake
10th Sep 2007, 20:29
Shack,

I cannot recall ever having been asked to explain medication..even after being sniffed at by a doggie :)
However, as previously suggested, if you are worried, I'm sure a letter would do the job.:ok: