PDA

View Full Version : The Media - Not news... just gossip

Pushback
10th Sep 2007, 12:15
Saw the SAS Dash8 gear collapse today on S** News... they reported that the pilot "dumped fuel" prior to landing. Since when could a Dash8 dump fuel? Then we are told that the Cessna 337 intercepted by the RAAF over Sydney was a "single seat aeroplane"

Makes one wonder about the accuracy of all their other "stories".

Jabawocky
10th Sep 2007, 12:18
Pushback

MAAATTTEEEE

Did you just wake up?

Rule No.1 Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

Its OK, we all thought the same as you:ok:

J:ok:

Bullethead
10th Sep 2007, 13:07
In over 35 years of flying, and probably reasonably expert at it, I don't think I've ever seen any aviation event reported 100% accurately by the media.
It makes me wonder how much of the rest of the news, of which I have little expert knowledge, is correct. :hmm:
Rehards,
BH.

Swift6
10th Sep 2007, 13:57
On one of the news reports I heard - The C337 driver was on a Joy flight from Central west NSW.

You gotta love it!

Steve Barnes
10th Sep 2007, 14:11
In our local TV news services the aircraft was repeatedly refered to as "the jet aircraft"
In more than 30 years I have never seen an aviation related news story accurately reported.
News reporting is not about factual reporting but selling newspapers or costlier advertising time on TV/Radio. :*

compressor stall
10th Sep 2007, 14:13
Stan on SBS news also reported that the "right front" wheel collapsed on the dash. Bring back Mary :{:{:{:{:{:{:{:{:{:{:{:{:{

Chimbu chuckles
10th Sep 2007, 15:26
And you guys are surprised why exactly?

Do you really think that only pilots sit stunned at how wrong the media get everything?

WRONG!

EVERYBODY experiences the same thing...irrespective of their individual backgrounds...EVERYBODY!!!

Does it not make you think that if they cannot get a story right that occurrs in their own backyard, such as the 337/F18 story, what hope for stories occurring clear the other side of the planet...Like Iraq?

This a well know phenomenon...and it is the reason why traditional news media is suffering falling ratings as people decide to get their information from multiple WWW sources.

I used to think that the only reasonably accurate part of a news story was the headline...I know longer believe even that most of the time.

ANY reporting style media...whether it is 'hard' news or E Entertainment is purely rumour and gossip, and nothing else.

Unfortunately most people are still too lazy to go out and find out facts for themselves...and that is the reason why Anthropogenic Global Warming has the gained the traction it has in the world psychy...it is the reason why people were/are afraid of DDT, Nuclear winter, acid rain and on and on and on...law and order/public safety is another classic example of disgracefull media reporting...people live in fear for no other reasion than ratings.

You want another classic example?

The media have constantly reported that Australia has been experiencing the 'worst drought ever'.

PURE UNADULTERATED BULL****!!!

It takes mere minutes of effort on the BOM website to take a look at the raw data...records of rainfall going back over 100 years for every region of Australia.

The current drought is not even the worst in the last 70 years...the 30s were FAR drier than now and if you look at the records they are like a metronome swinging back and forth on about 20 year cycles. The current drought is no worse than any we have had in the last 100 years the ONLY difference is that a growing population has been ALLOWED to outstripped water storage resources.

But do you hear much in the media about incompetent politicians bending over for the greens and allowing the best catchment areas to be locked away in National Parks?

Nope.:mad:

Much better to blame AGW (i.e. everyone else) and pander to sundry industries, such as desalination and nuclear (they go hand in hand...no other way to generate the ENORMOUS amounts of electricity required to desalinate water on the scale required) than to admit they have fecked up...again.
Plus of course building dams doesn't provide them with directorships post political life...all it does is provide the population with near as dam it, pun intended, free water.

vh_ajm
10th Sep 2007, 23:52
Has anyone thought about offereing their services as an "aviation correspondant" or something similar?

Everytime I grimace at a poorly reported aviation incident/accident I think to do it. I consider myself under-qualified to actually do it (though more qualified than the reporters evidently). Not sure. Passing thought...

P.S. If anyone actually goes through with this and get it going, I better get a commission out of it! Where's the 'joking' icon? But seriously - I want one!

capt.cynical
11th Sep 2007, 00:50
"Media Watch" best show on TV since "Fronline":D

Flyingblind
11th Sep 2007, 01:06
Agree with all posted above. I constantly get asked "Did you see that thing about that plane last night on TV?"

Where do i start! gods teeth its enough to make a man take to drink!

I get a headache just walking past a TV with a commercial station broadcasting its 'product' let alone sitting down to watch the damm thing.

I let the 'major' media go a long time ago, commercial crap aimed at:mad: with no real interest in the actual events, www does it for me every time.

By by Murdoch by by Packer, your short term greed and inward looking POV have diminished your product to such an extent that it is quite simply mind numbingly :mad:

capson
11th Sep 2007, 02:13
Here is the link...
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ed8_1189365556&p=1