PDA

View Full Version : Man killed by helicopter blade

Heliport
10th Sep 2007, 07:52
SELAH, Washington

Man killed by helicopter blade

A man trapping bighorn sheep is killed after he is hit by a helicopter propeller.

Washington Fish and Wildlife's, Rocky Spencer, 55, was trapping sheep using nets shot by a helicopter gun. After catching two sheep, Spencer was getting off the helicopter to load them inside the aircraft. He was making his way to the front of the cockpit when one of the propeller's hit him, instantly killing him.

Sherriff's Deputies say Spencer had been doing this for years and was considered one of the best in his field. After the accident, the pilot left a WSU veterinarian with the victim and went to get help.

It happened Saturday afternoon about 3pm, just North of Selah on the Mt. Baldy Ranch, near milepost 11 on Highway 821. The helicopter was a 1977 Hughes Model 369D Rotorcraft.

The Kittitas County Sherriff's Office and County Coroner will continue the investigation

slowrotor
10th Sep 2007, 14:32
I heard on the news that the helo was parked on a slope so the rotor may have been low on the upslope side.

r44flyer
10th Sep 2007, 16:53
Obviously tragic.

Shoudn't the cyclic be centred following a sloping landing and subsequent power reduction?

Flying Bajan
10th Sep 2007, 20:08
If the slope is steep enough / blade diameter is big enough / rotor mast is short enough, that will make no difference.

Arm out the window
10th Sep 2007, 20:46
If the slope was constant it would, but not if you're landing on a small relatively flatter part and the slope rises up next to you at a greater angle.

CGWRA
10th Sep 2007, 20:51
500 blades are pretty thin too surprised if there was no damage to the blade. Its my nightmare to see this happen to one of my customers and its so easy to dismiss an incline and become complacent after alot of flying.

2leftskids
11th Sep 2007, 20:07
Here's another way to do it...
http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2007/AAIR/aair200704706.aspx