PDA

View Full Version : FAA A&P / IA to ???

wrench1
10th Sep 2007, 00:41
Looking to upgrade my A&P and IA certificates to an internationally recognized level/rating. After talking to a number of friends and past associates I was first directed toward obtaining a Transport Canada M1/M2 license, mainly due to my current location in the States. However, after a few months some felt that pursuing an EASA B1/B2 would be more appropriate considering the direction the industry is taking in respect to a common standard.

The area I would be working in would be mainly rotorcraft through the 12,500 MGW category with twin turbine fixed wing as a secondary category. I have been told that there may system set up to allow for centralized testing to obtain the EASA ratings from various other ICAO member locations, but nothing definite.

I've worked overseas and know/understand/respect the difference between the FAA and other systems. Looking to expand my horizons after 25 years of one direction.

Will appreciate any and all suggestions.

W1

spannersatcx
10th Sep 2007, 11:45
FAA A&P is not recognised for conversion to EASA licence. All type rating training must of been carried out at an EASA 147 approved training school.

easaman
11th Sep 2007, 07:30
There is no crossing over, you must pass 13/14 exams including essays.
For the B1 mechanical turbine engine licence you must pass exams in modules 1 to 11, 15 , 17 and essays.
For the B2 avionics licence you must pass exams in modules 1 to 10, 13, 14 and essays.
You must consider 3 trips to the UK-CAA for the exams. I recommend to start with modules 1 to 5
(maths,physics,electrics, electronics & digital). Therefore you can use the the book Aircraft Engineering Principles
and Aircraft Digital Electronic and Computer Systems.
More information is on the page of the free EASA part 66 club (http://www.jartraining.de/phpBB2/) in the section JAR66 HowToGet (http://www.jartraining.de/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=8432cca8427b0ca0121001bf3be94847).

wrench1
12th Sep 2007, 22:53
spanner & e-man,

Appreciate the info. I have enough flyer miles for at least 2 trips across the pond. Have you heard if there are plans to open any EASA 147 schools on my side?? Again , thanks.

Regards,
W1

BAe146s make me cry
13th Sep 2007, 08:34
The British Columbia Institute of Technology in Vancouver does
hold EASA Part 147 Facility Approvals for EASA Part 66 Licences.
Click on below...

http://www.bcit.ca/about/aerospace.shtml

There's a lot of work involved. Remember,
EASA Part 66 = quantity, not quality.

Good luck

BAe146??:{:{:{

wrench1
14th Sep 2007, 00:18

Appreciate for the info - I'll drop them a line.

I once saw a BAe146....

As the rotor turns....

Thanks,
W1

BAe146s make me cry
14th Sep 2007, 15:22
I vaguely remember seeing early DanAir 146s when I was a kid.

Never thought that they would reduce me to such a wreck
in later years. Well done Hatfield and Woodford:D Grrr!

BAe146??? :{ and :{ and :mad:! electric shock at 131-11-00..

SGFLY
16th Sep 2007, 12:58
Hello,

Are you looking for a job in Europe as FAA A&P ? We operate a private Beech 200 FAA registered... We need a mechanic for small maintenance and ops

Best regards

[email protected]

Jet II
17th Sep 2007, 08:48
FAA A&P is not recognised for conversion to EASA licence.
Depends - CAA have given full B1 licences in the past on the basis of just an FAA A&P, but that was for employees of Big Airways - individuals applying do not get the same treatment.

wrench1
17th Sep 2007, 09:29
SGFLY,
Appreciate the heads up on the position, but unfortunately it will be several more years before I can make my plan happen - part of which is obtaining a higher level of license. Who knows maybe in the future we can look at it again. Thanks.

Jet II,
Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is a specific department or office within the CAA that I can contact to pursue your info some more? I've had problems in the past sending general inquiries to the main addresses at large operations like the CAA.

W1

aintsaying
18th Sep 2007, 16:42
Wrench1,
Get your Aussie CASA licence, then convert to EASA 66. its the only way to transfer from FAA licence to anything real.

Just remember, the more experience you put down, the more questions you will be exammined on in the CTC exams.

AB139engineer
19th Sep 2007, 07:26
Wrench One I done some investigation on this licence conversion matter from the Canadian veiw point and from what I have heard and seen is that only TC /CASA/ FAA /EASA usually recognize the applicants previous experience, however it does not matter where you come from or what licence you have you will still have to write the exams of the aviation authority of the host country (assuming your past experience is credable.) The exceptions to the rule are smaller third world countries that sometimes require a air regs exam to be written often with a paper bag of money handed to the exam overseer.

wrench1
19th Sep 2007, 09:29
AB139,

If you had to choose, which one would you recommend to pursue at this day and age - TC. CASA, or EASA?

I have been down this road a number of years ago when I had an opportunity to obtain a TC M1/M2, however, I did not pursue it - my bad. From what I remember TC will give me credit on my A&P w/ IA for the basic training requirement, but I will have to provide supporting documentation and still comply with the testing.

Right now it seems the EASA would be the most difficult as there is no direct credit provisions for my FAA ratings or "local" assistance, with a TC rating the more convenient by the sheer fact of its accessible on my side of the pond. Not looking for a free ride, just want to get the most for my dollar. Appreciate the info.

W1

easaman
26th Sep 2007, 17:42
The free crossing over for A&Ps to EASA by the UK-CAA was unique for Big Airways! Other companies had to pay a fortune to send their staff to a licence school!

[email protected]

BAe146s make me cry
29th Sep 2007, 12:39
Further to this thread - it is indeed true that at least 20 x British
Airways FAA A&P Licenced Techs with BA issued Approvals were
'bumped' up to EASA Part 66 in September last year.

'These AMLs were issued on the back of the Company Approvals,
not the A&Ps and were restricted'. So that makes it ok - right John?

This issue is yet another example of Standards being altered.
Basically these chaps did not qualify in 2001 - somehow,
they did in 2006!

This issue remains an 'open subject' within the SRG PLD.

BAe146??? :{:{:{