View Full Version : Airline names

egnxema
9th Sep 2007, 19:35
In another post it is suggested that Loganair is to buy the name Scottish Airways off BA.
Is there a website showing who currently own what names of defunct airlines?
I guess TUIfly own quite a list now, including Orion Airways, Air2000, Britannia, Leisure International Airlines, etc.
If I wanted to set up an airline called British Island Airways - who own the rights to the defunct BIA name? Is it KLM? as BIa became part of AirUK which became KLMuk. BUt KLMuk became Buzz which became Buzz Stansted with was bought by Ryanair. So do Ryanair own the BIA rights??
Thinking about it - Orion was a very highly thought of carrier in its day. Maybe the newly formed TUI/First Choice company should consider ressurecting the name Orion for the merged Thomsonfly/First Choice Airlines. TUIfly is just so............naff???

robo283
9th Sep 2007, 20:10
Orion Airways was started predominantly by former employees of Britannia. BY then swallowed Orion when Thomson Holidays bought Horizon, and those staff who weren't of any value to BY (i.e. anyone without a vocational licence) was cast aside. There would be a sad irony if the name Orion was resurrected by the company that wiped it out.
Orion Airways still inspires a sense of loyalty from those of us who were fortnuate enough to work for the airline (albeit 20 years ago!).

(PS I used to work for Loganair as well but don't feel as warmly about it for some reason...)

ExpectmorePayless
9th Sep 2007, 20:12
Good idea.....but let's wait until they have re-painted 50% of the fleet in yellow Tuifly colours before we let Tui management change their minds again :ok:

daninLTN
10th Sep 2007, 16:42
As far as I know only the German TUIfly will be yellow, the UK TUIfly will remain as Thomsonfly and baby blue colours. Not sure about Nordic, Corsair, Arkefly, Jetair etc..