PDA

View Full Version : Please help guys!

Andy_Stotts
9th Sep 2007, 15:47
Hi sorry if this has been asked before (would be gratefull if someone could post up the link if it has)

I am 23 and would like to get into flying I have got my first lesson on Tuesday. I have chosen to study part time and pay as
I go so to speak. Although I class it as part time I will be able to study most days as I currently finish work around 1pm everyday. It feels like I am running before I can walk by asking this question but do you think that If I pass all my exams I could have a job with an airline by the time I am 30?

Plus I have seen lots of prices being advertised in magazines for lots of different licences but being realistic how much am I looking to spend to go from zero to an airline job £30k, £40k, £50k, £60k???

AlphaMale
9th Sep 2007, 16:33
At 23 you can easily get into an airline by the time your 30 I'd imagine.

As for price, well if you decide to train part time through your PPL/Night/Hour Building/MEP and then study for 6 months for your 14 ATPL exams I guess depending on the weather you could be ready to go for the CPL/IR next year. Study your CPL/IR Full time and then apply to the airlines. And maybe get an MCC too.

As far as costs are involved I guess Modular in the UK part time £40k would be my guess.

Could be done cheaper in other parts of Europe such as Spain / Greece or possible the US (keeping in mind the IR would have to be done in Europe or have in converted from FAA to JAA).

The prices you have seen at £60k+ are for Integrated courses at Oxford / Flight Training Europe / Cabair etc (See http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=218620)

Good luck.

Andy_Stotts
9th Sep 2007, 16:34
Thanks for the reply just a small note though that link does not seem to work but I have found your site through doing a google search

Mercenary Pilot
9th Sep 2007, 16:43
zero to an airline job

There is NO guarantee you will EVER get an airline job...just bare that in mind. :(

Andy_Stotts
9th Sep 2007, 16:59
"There is NO guarantee you will EVER get an airline job...just bare that in mind."

Very true but you have to be in it to win it I supose

flan
9th Sep 2007, 17:59
Andy,

Anything is possible, I did all my PPL at Manchester then ATPL's via a distance course through Oxford. Hour building in the USA inc night rating and then Multiflight for the CPL/ME/IR. MCC via Jetlinx and then the big one B737-300-900 type rating.

Cost- PPL about 6,000
Oxford-2,000 + exam fees about 8,00 so 2,800
Flying in the states say about 4,000
CPL/ME/IR including test fees just under 22,000
MCC 3,500
Type rating 17,500

Total in the region of 55,800

I would say there is no right way to do the training you can do it for a lot less than the full courses, but its what ever works for you that counts.

I could not afford to do the full courses hence the long way round for me but I got a job, its all a risk but what career isnt?:confused:

Keep positive and you will make it I am sure. I fyou have any questions feel free to pm me.:ok:

Regards

flan