PDA

View Full Version : Our first Female Captain

ACMS
9th Sep 2007, 14:32
A very big congrats to A.C. well done.

A big fat nothing from the company, apart from her name being mentioned in NR's friday report. Now if it was C.W. that was the first they would have given her a marching band and ticker tape parade down Nathan road.

tut tut.

ACMS
9th Sep 2007, 15:13
possibly but.......

you'd think NR would have made some nice comments about it.

Very poor form and it shows how he really feels about "his troops" :=

fernytickles
9th Sep 2007, 15:15
Congratulations, from a complete stranger.

Sad reflection of the company that this has taken soooooooooooooo long.
Perhaps they are at long last moving out of the Neolithic period of aviation?

Whatever, I hope the new captain is feeling pretty chuffed :ok:

Rabesh Binny
10th Sep 2007, 00:27
She was feeling pretty happy at Solas on 4 Sep!(just did her 4 bar that day).

Fenwicksgirl
10th Sep 2007, 00:54
No disrespects to the others but AC is a great first up!!
By the way NR was beside himself with joy about this but am sure it has been agreed to not make a big deal about it.
Also, 2 more in the ranks coming through, in a couple of months it will be a no big deal...well done to all!

barnstormingmustang
10th Sep 2007, 01:41
Congradulations!!!!!:D

Left Wing
10th Sep 2007, 03:27
is this training part of the stuff being done at Alteon SIN ????.......

elac2
10th Sep 2007, 04:12
Sorry for asking a stupid question but is she a local from the cadetship or expat. Either way congratulations and happy flying.

elac2

knackeredII
10th Sep 2007, 05:57
Sorry for asking an even dumber question, but what airline are we talking about? Or are we to assume there is only one airline in HK?

Harbour Dweller
10th Sep 2007, 06:07
knackeredII,

Cathay Pacific

:ok:

ACMS
10th Sep 2007, 06:09
we are talking about CX

A.C. joined as an SO on the 400 fleet probably about 9 years ago and was not a cadet.

sinkingship
10th Sep 2007, 09:35
Did she fly the 777 then 400 before her command?

Anyway Congratulations Capt. A.C.:D

oicur12
10th Sep 2007, 12:21
A female Captain in CX.

Congradulations and welcome to the 1960's.

Very progressive.

HotDog
10th Sep 2007, 12:43
I believe KA had two female commands way back?

HotDog
10th Sep 2007, 12:49
Congratulations and welcome to the 1960's.

I had an assignation with a flight engineer of an American operator on a night stop in Tokyo once. She was a very good engineer; female.:E

FlexibleResponse
10th Sep 2007, 13:11
Heartiest congratulations to AC!

Cheers and many happy landings,
Flex

willnotcomply
10th Sep 2007, 15:19
Why should her name be up in lights? She is suppose to be an equal, right?

sinkingship
11th Sep 2007, 04:34
She is equal, but what about the training system.

The Wraith
11th Sep 2007, 05:05
Flown with A.C. on several occasions and she most certainly deserves her four bars. Serious professionalism and ability all wrapped up inside a wonderful person!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. And the hell with the ticker tape parade...we all know she was first!!

Flap 5
12th Sep 2007, 11:43
KA had their first female captain some ten years ago (R.C.). But then KA seems to have lived fast and furious and has now burnt itself out. :hmm:

filejw
13th Sep 2007, 03:34
Congratulations to MS AC and for Cathay welcome to 2007.

N1 Vibes
15th Sep 2007, 03:10
Heard the other day that some other people qualified as captains, quite a few, in-fact I believe it does happen all the time. Didn't see any threads here celebrating the fact.

Maybe they weren't as deserving. Or is there just a touch of sycophantism going on here? Don't get me wrong, anybody who achieves the captains qualification has worked long and f@cking hard, and deserves praise. Just my cycnical mind I guess.......:confused:

Hellenic aviator
15th Sep 2007, 03:46
I agree whole heartedly with The Wraith !
I too have flown with AC, and she certainly earned her 4 Bars.
Professional, and above all, a humble down-to-earth person ! :D
F:mad:k the ticker parade - we all know WHO was the first, and shall ALWAYS be the first in our Company's history of female aviators.

Congrats AC !!!!!!

Midnight Rambler
15th Sep 2007, 03:49
She is an equal and would not want a song and dance made about it. She jumped through all the hoops, as did every other candidate who has passed, in fine style with no quarter asked nor given and has deservedly achieved her aspirations. A hearty and un-sycophantic congratulations. The less fuss made of it the better, I'm sure she would say.

Cripple 7
16th Sep 2007, 17:13
Not so friendly skies for women pilots in Asia
by By Regan Morris http://www.travelweeklyweb.com/article-194-notsofriendlyskiesforwomenpilotsinasia-TravelWeekly.html
4 July 2000 (http://www.travelweeklyweb.com/article-194-notsofriendlyskiesforwomenpilotsinasia-TravelWeekly.html)
When Helen Richey of Pennsylvania became the first woman to pilot a commercial airliner on December 31, 1934, the media hailed the event as a "dawn of women coming of age" but it looks like they were premature.
While many airlines worldwide employ and recruit women pilots, in Asia, many airlines still lock women out of the cockpit.
Singapore Airlines does not employ women pilots, although the company said it is not necessarily a policy.
When asked if the airline hired women pilots, an SIA spokesman told travelweeklyeast.com "no we don’t".
"It’s not a policy," the spokesman said.
"But so far, they haven’t hired any."
I guess it doesn’t need to be a policy considering SIA’s subsidiary Singapore Flying College does not accept female applicants.
When a female reporter at travelweeklyeast.com called the flying college to request an application she was told, "I’m sorry the college is not open to ladies."
Makes you think twice about an airline that calls grown women "Singapore Girls" instead of flight attendants.
But many airlines in the region do employ women pilots.
"Yes, Air New Zealand does hire women pilots. One of our senior international pilots is a woman," said airline spokeswoman Anita Moreira.
In Hong Kong, both Cathay Pacific and Dragonair hire women pilots.
"We currently have two women pilots," said Dragonair’s manager of corporate communications Laura Ayson. "Rosa Chak joined us as a cadet pilot in 1988 and was promoted to Captain in March 1998. Rosa was the first female airline Captain in Hong Kong. The second is first officer Julie Dill who is an Australian.
"You might find this interesting as well. On April 26 this year, we had a flight operated by an all-female crew in the cockpit and cabin. I'm pretty sure it's another first for Hong Kong."
When asked if Malaysia Airlines hires women pilots, a spokesman for MAS said "No". He didn’t elaborate.
It’s hard to believe it’s the year 2000 and women still have such a long way to go.

Cripple 7
16th Sep 2007, 17:18
Orient Aviation www.orientaviation.com
Rosa makes history - again
http://www.orientaviation.com/section.php?currenyIssue=I20070226110218-zOKbS&currentSection=regionalroundup&currentArticle=A20070226110259-rH4H3&#here
Dragonair pilot, Capt. Rosa Chak, the first Hong Kong-born Chinese woman to fly for a commercial airline, has notched up another first in her flying career by becoming the first female Hong Kong-born pilot to command B747-400s.
Capt. Chak, who has been flying in the left hand seat on Dragonair’s A330-300 since 1998 switched to B747-400 freighters in December after completing her type training earlier in the year.
She joined Dragonair as a cadet pilot in 1988 and made history when she graduated to become the first Hong Kong-born Chinese woman to fly for a Hong Kong commercial airline - Dragonair.
http://www.orientaviation.com/storage/Image/2007-Mar/Pix_RosaChak.jpg

FlexibleResponse
19th Sep 2007, 11:22
Congratulations once again.

Keep it up Rosa. You are a legend!

ACMS
3rd Oct 2007, 08:44
Time to bring this thread back to the top

I must look at the SCMP today.:ok: