PDA

View Full Version : New CX Business Class? Coffin Class!

Rabesh Binny
9th Sep 2007, 11:15
:ugh:May we have your thoughts on this monumental waste of money?

Nullaman
9th Sep 2007, 11:27
Needs burying 6' under asap

404 Titan
9th Sep 2007, 11:47
As a commuter who has travelled in the new "J" class number of times, it is a vast improvement on the old product. I don't have to put up with the idiot next to me wanting to talk to me all night and I can actually get some sleep in comfort on a flat bed instead of ending up in a curled up ball on the floor.

The only problem I can see is for couples travelling together and business people travelling together wanting or needing to talk to each other. The compnay may need to look at having the divider modified so this can be accomplished.

At the end of the day it all boils down to personal preference. I personally don't have a problem with the new product.

rick.shaw
9th Sep 2007, 13:24
Agree. It is personal preference. I like the new product purely because it is lie flat. However, it is extremely claustrophobic and does nothing for business people travelling together who want to talk or discuss business on the way. The small stool to sit on facing the main passenger is somewhat of a joke.

Unfortunately, the new modification comes years behind the competition and is still not up to the comnpetition's standard. CX dropped the ball on this one yet again!

Sqwak7700
10th Sep 2007, 13:10
Not to mention you need a rubber neck to stare out the window. Some people get sick unless they can see their position relative to the ground during those bumpy approaches.

I think it was a step backwards. It has some benefits, but the drawbacks outnumber them.

christep
10th Sep 2007, 13:37
I certainly prefer the old J product - being able to travel as a couple, read a broadsheet, look out of the window are all far more important to me than having a seat that goes absolutely flat.

Was it the same people who stuffed this up that messed up the regional business so badly that the rollout was halted halfway? If so, why do they still have a job?

badairsucker
10th Sep 2007, 14:27
I certainly prefer the old J product - being able to travel as a couple, read a broadsheet, look out of the window are all far more important to me than having a seat that goes absolutely flat.

How much time during your 12 hour night flight to Europe do you read the paper or look out of the window?

Give me a flat bed anyday. The old J class was pure crap.

christep
11th Sep 2007, 00:43
How much time during your 12 hour night flight to Europe do you read the paper or look out of the window?
Give me a flat bed anyday. The old J class was pure crap.Probably an hour reading the paper, another one or two looking out of the window (while enjoying the music selection) and another hour or two chatting with my wife, I guess. Add a movie or two, a couple of meals and a book and that's the flight done. Since I am generally paying my own money to fly premium classes I prefer to take day flights to enjoy the experience rather than just sleeping through them.

And saying the old-J was crap indicates how out of touch with reality you are - when it was introduced only 5 or 6 ago it was one of the best in the sky. Even now it is still about average for the seat and way above average for the quality of the service.

badairsucker
11th Sep 2007, 02:29
another one or two looking out of the window
Christ, I bet your fun going to out for a beer with.:ok:What do you look at in flight, the clouds???

And saying the old-J was crap indicates how out of touch with reality you are - when it was introduced only 5 or 6 ago it was one of the best in the sky. Even now it is still about average for the seat and way above average for the quality of the service.

Try 4 years max it was introduced. Even before that BA had the flat bed which was far better than CX by a country mile. Having friends who travel on business at least 10 times per month who use many types of airlines comment on how CX is way behind the times. SQ and EK are way ahead with lots of major carriers having the same J class product as we are having installed now, they have had the new product for ages, we are always behind the times.....So who's really out of touch with reality mate.

Don't forget that most of the pax want to fly at night hence all our night flights, which means they want a flat bed, not a chair that reclines so when trying to sleep they end up on the floor.

I know there are some people who like to moan at anything, but putting a flat bed on the aircraft rather than a chair that reclines has got to be an improvement...

And yes, I have used both J class products.

freightdog188
11th Sep 2007, 04:02
there are much less claustrophobic fishbone J-class designs though. dunno why they picked this one.

just look at Air Canada's:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1235838/M/

BusyB
11th Sep 2007, 06:24
Having tried the new J classs I find both pros and cons.

Yes, it is flat and you don't have to climb over anyone to go to the loo.

Unfortunately its narrow, (No broadsheets), gets its own microclimate (A/C struggles to cool it), and worst of all when flat the stupidly designed plastic edging trim on the end of the bed digs into the ankles of anyone over 5'6" tall.:{

Numero Crunchero
11th Sep 2007, 06:42
I liked it....oops, just gave away my height;-)

christep
11th Sep 2007, 07:18
Christ, I bet your fun going to out for a beer with.:ok:What do you look at in flight, the clouds???Yes, and the scenery we're passing over. And it doesn't have to be during the day - I recall a night flight I took probably 7 years ago now from Bangkok to Shanghai when it was brilliantly clear and the light from a very bright full moon was passing over the landscape of (I think) northern Thailand like a searchlight, picking out all sorts of features. I was transfixed for a couple of hours watching this beautiful scene in a way I have never seen before or since, as were the few other passengers who were awake.

For me flying is something to be enjoyed, not something to be slept through.

Try 4 years max it was introduced.{...}So who's really out of touch with reality mate.It was introduced in August 2001: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/aboutus/pressroomdetails?refID=460e499523aba010VgnVCM22000022d21c39_ ___

I rest my case.

BusyB
11th Sep 2007, 09:23
NC,

You take it all so personally:}

Christep,

I accept that sometimes it is definitely an advantage to have a window and not one over a wing.
However when it was first introduced it was a total disaster, so steep you slid down it unless attached with velcro, they then reclined it further to make it acceptable but even then BA was already using flat bed arrangements that left CX well behind the 8-ball.:{

Guava Tree
11th Sep 2007, 09:49
"Arrive in better shape", they used to say.
If not a midget, bring a marine ply extension 18"by 20".
At least this cannot be considered a gel and confiscated by Hong Kong security along with the jar with the label "Vegemite".
Should we buy more CX shares on the basis of this potentially good innovation?

ALPHA FLOOR
11th Sep 2007, 09:57
I think its a great improvement - not perfect mind, but a massive improvement over the previous. Looking forward to the next evolution.......

AFL

badairsucker
11th Sep 2007, 10:22
For me flying is something to be enjoyed, not something to be slept through.

As I said, you must be life and soul of the party mate....party on dude.:ok:

I rest my case.........:D:O:E

A. Le Rhone
12th Sep 2007, 02:19
badairsucker...you're an unpleasant little creature aren't you now?

I too need a good flat bed to sleep (not like that slidy thing we used to have where you needed to wedge your feet at the base - not condusive to pushing out Z's). The width isn't important so much but the flatness IS.

That said, I (like christep) think flying is something to be enjoyed. I always enjoy looking at the scenery over which I'm flying - it's often fascinating.

Passionless people like you are actually tedious at parties. Quick to criticise others because their interests don't fit your own narrow little vision. Perhaps you should take up accounting or something.

badairsucker
12th Sep 2007, 05:07
A. Le Rhone (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=190026)

badairsucker...you're an unpleasant little creature aren't you now?

I too need a good flat bed to sleep (not like that slidy thing we used to have where you needed to wedge your feet at the base - not condusive to pushing out Z's). The width isn't important so much but the flatness IS.

That said, I (like christep) think flying is something to be enjoyed. I always enjoy looking at the scenery over which I'm flying - it's often fascinating.

Passionless people like you are actually tedious at parties. Quick to criticise others because their interests don't fit your own narrow little vision. Perhaps you should take up accounting or something. So I am an unpleasant little creature, passionless, and should become an accountant as you so politely put it because I DARE to come on here with a sense of humour and light hearted banter....LOOK AT THE ICONS YOU SILLY LITTLE MAN. You people really should lighten up and stop taking your little lives so seriously.:ugh:

Some of us look at the scenery during working hours sat in the cruise for hours on end then sleep on our flights back home or on holidays. Is that ok with you..........

Christ, I hope I never have to fly with you.
You and christep should get together for a hell of a night out. :ok: By the way, that was sarcasm(a type of wit, humour, having a laugh or taking the pi@@).

A. Le Rhone
12th Sep 2007, 07:28
...got you. Sort of like David Brent humour. :ouch:
With you now. Mumbling over your beer alone in a pub on a nightstop. "Why doesnt everybody understand my special type of humour. Putting others down is incredibly witty".:8
Taking myself seriously I might pass on that beer.

Left Wing
12th Sep 2007, 09:54
one look at SQ or Jet airways... makes it clear CX has completly lost the market....

Traffic
17th Sep 2007, 20:16
I assume whoever thought this up has spent the bulk his/her career working down the back of an AWACS or more likely in a submarine.

HOT and her sister consigned to night operations as noone will travel this way on day flights.

I am assuming that as all LHR flights are full, we are trying to push custom to Oasis.

Claustrophobic, hot and downright uncomfortable. Had me asking to downgraded to economy...only problem is EY was full also.

Absolute shocker!

Rule3
17th Sep 2007, 21:20
How do you enjoy the scenery when you are horizontal in your flat bed?

badairsucker
18th Sep 2007, 03:58
How do you enjoy the scenery when you are horizontal in your flat bed?

Mate, don't question these people. I did and they start shooting insults at you.:yuk:

I am off to hide again............:ok:

kluge
3rd Oct 2008, 04:11
Rabesh - I didn't see this thread or its name until after I submitted a similar on just on Fragrant Harbour. I flew CX100 from Syd to HK yesterday.

I came to exactly the same name before seeing this thread- coffin class.

Not that impressed.

IFE was good though,