PDA

View Full Version : A question for for Pilots in Africa

stampnz
9th Sep 2007, 05:00
Hey all.

Firstly I have an aust/nz cpl, 850tt, 30multi, 80hr c210.

I would like to spend a few years working in Africa. Question being if you had my experience, where would you go, and when?

I'd rather be flying a twin or turbine, but im happy to do say 6 months in a single first...as long as there is the opportunity for upgrade.

I have been looking around pprune, seems most people who ask this question are fresh cpl's. I realise you have to be there to get a job, just want to go to the right place.

Cheers

poorwanderingwun
9th Sep 2007, 05:55
Only place I know that might take you with that level of experience woud be Botswana... Maun would be a good place to start enquiring but really there's no sustitute for showing up and having a beer in the right place...

Contract Dog
9th Sep 2007, 07:27
Hey mate, try going to one of the contract companys for a C208B job, you meet the UN and ICRC hr requirements for co pilot and I dont recon you will be in the right seat more than 6 months before you shift over to the left seat and up in the pay scale.

you would need to do a SA com validation (airlaw and flight test) and then a C208 conversion.

Dog

poorwanderingwun
9th Sep 2007, 10:54
OK... don't want to be pedantic and if I'm wrong then shoot me down... but I seem to remember when doing my own validation that the validation will only cover aircraft type already on the existing licence... that is to say that if this guy has no turbine experience he would have to get time on the 208 before doing the validation...

And while I'm being pedantic.. suitcaseman... it's painful to see someone writing queue "cue " .. apologies if english is not your first language

Soap Box Cowboy
9th Sep 2007, 12:55
Right seat on a Van? The guy as one of the guys I used to fly with "sitting here like a bag of potatoes" No ratting needed to sit right seat, but once he got some time with said companies he can get a rating on his Oz licence. But now since the Van is under 12500 and certified single crew is a rating on the licence required in SA?