PDA

View Full Version : Modular training - need some clarification

Mohit_C
8th Sep 2007, 20:26
Hello everyone,
I have done quite a bit of browsing on this forum but can't seem to get an answer to my question, which I think must've been asked before, but here goes.
Now, after having more or less understood the way the modular course goes, I want to clarify a few doubts I have. By what I understand, whether I go the modular way or integrated, I get a frozen ATPL. With the modular I will have to do:
PPL,
Night Rating,
Hour building,
CPL,
MEP,
ME/IR,
MCC.
With the integrated, all this comes included, hence the high price.

Please correct me where I'm wrong.

Now what I don't understand is how do the modules in the modular course work. I guess because I haven't yet started the course I don't know but how do you eventually get the frozen ATPL? Is there some licence that tells all the modules that you have done or do you get individual diplomas for each?
I would really appreciate if someone could explain this to me.

Thanks in advance and I apologize if this has been asked many times before.

redout
8th Sep 2007, 21:53
On the Integrated course you will be exempt from doing the PPL and will also get a reduction in the hours required to qualify for your license. Modular is done at your own pace. You decide when u wanna start. Integrated everything comes at you pretty quickly and is more intense. Modular can be that way also if you want it to be (by doing everything straight away one after the other) but usually modular students spread things out over a bigger time frame. Bottom line with modular is you do what suits you when it best suits you.

tncmdream
9th Sep 2007, 05:51
Just to have an idea, is modular training recommended or not?
I mean we waste so much time compared to integrated training.

Is it really worth as more and more airlines look for younger and younger co pilots :rolleyes:

EGCC4284
9th Sep 2007, 08:20
Someone please correct me if I am wrong

You can start your 28 hours CPL training on a single engine, doing the first 20 hours on that and the last 8 hours on a twin engine. This means that on the day of your CPL test, you can also do your twin rating test at the same time.

You then go back to a single engine for the beginning of your IR training and switch back to a twin half way through your IR training to do your IR test in a twin engine.

I did it this way for CPL, 18 hours single, 10 hours twin.

I started ATPL correspondence course when I had about 100 hours total. You have to have the ATPL exams finished and 150 hours minimum before starting CPL course.

Your night rating is only needed before IR test I think so you can do that anytime along your training???

On an integrated course, you WONT have a PPL.

Its the cheapest way. Al;though it took me many years doing Modular, I would say I spent about £45,000 in total.

negativeROC
9th Sep 2007, 08:57
A Night rating is implied in a CPL. You must have completed the night rating training (the rating need not be issued) before you take a CPL skills test if you are on the modular route.

EGCC4284
9th Sep 2007, 10:21
I was struggling for time and did CPL test, then most of my IR training, then night rating before IR test.

I was lead to believe that I only needed the night rating before turning up for IR test.

I did not apply for the issue of my CPL until I had passed my IR and then applied for CPL and IR at the same time. This is probably why I was able to do what I did.

I could be wrong and got away with doing this without anyone realising the mistake.

You must have completed the night rating training (the rating need not be issued) before you take a CPL skills test

Are you sure

Anyone care to comment please.

Mohit_C
9th Sep 2007, 10:48
Its the cheapest way. Al;though it took me many years doing Modular, I would say I spent about £45,000 in total.

According to the school Aerodynamics-Málaga the course takes one and a half years and costs €60K. How many years did it take you through the modular route?

+++EDIT+++ Sorry, I just read your response on the other thread. 6 years is quite a long time compared to 1.5 years. Was it the waiting time for doing each part of the modular course that made it take so long or simply the fact that it was easier to pay it throughout 6 years?

MrHorgy
9th Sep 2007, 12:44
Integrated is full time, all hands to the pumps training which takes just over a year. Modular can take as long as you want it to be. I heard a guy did it all in about 7 months if you go at it hammer and tongs. Of course, that might affect the quality of your flying at the end of it, better to have structured breaks and do it at your own pace - people also have other commitments so might not be able to put themselves on an intergrated course.

I never understood why integrated is more expensive when you do less hours :confused::confused::confused:

Horgy

EGCC4284
9th Sep 2007, 13:48
It took about 6 years because whilst training, I also had a very good paying job which I also used for networking. I was not prepared to give that up at the risk of loosing the ability to make good contacts on the inside.

I also could not afford to give up work and go full time as I had other responsibility's such as my wife and daughter to also think about.

It took 18 months from getting IR to starting the type rating for the job I now have.