PDA

View Full Version : Holidays for the Troops

Hueymeister
8th Sep 2007, 09:53
We are entitled to some R&R during/after an Op tour, but wouldnīt it be nice as well as buying the Boys a beer, that some of the major holiday tour groups might like to offer mil guys & gals some discounted hols (other than those derisory discount book offers)? Some might see it as recognition that if they werenīt out there doing what they do, the holiday industry might not be in such a rosy condition right now. Letīs face it, if Bliar and his hourdes can blag it, why canīt those that he sent to war get a little more in return?:}:)

Gericault
8th Sep 2007, 10:14
Good idea, but would the discounts need to vary if, say you'd had a tour in Helmand or a tour in the relative comfort of say ISAF? :}

Bannock
8th Sep 2007, 11:01
Virgin Holidays are good, they will give you 10% off. Just mention MOD and it will open a few doors to some other deals.

Hueymeister
8th Sep 2007, 11:19
Gericault,
Not sure, what do you think?:}

Could be a bit devisive donīt you think:bored:

Granted the boys down south have a very different existence to those in the relative īcalmīof HQ ISAF.

Green Flash
8th Sep 2007, 11:31
Didn't realise V did 10% - does anyone else offer good deals?

Two's in
8th Sep 2007, 13:12
Until the MoD issues Operational Deployment Orders where you can check the "no incoming fire" or "excused enemy mortars" box, I might suggest there is no discrimination based on where you serve.

Green Hat/Yellow Hat
8th Sep 2007, 13:22
Good idea, but would the discounts need to vary if, say you'd had a tour in Helmand or a tour in the relative comfort of say ISAF? :}

Does it really matter? We all do our bit, so a bit of appreciation for all of our military personel isn't a lot to ask. You never get quizzed about your status in the US if you ask for Military Discount.

greycoat
8th Sep 2007, 13:41
ad hoc things have happened. Post-tsunami, mil personnel involved assisting in Maldives received a couple of nights gratis at one of the resorts.

Airborne Aircrew
8th Sep 2007, 13:52
It used to be that the old 1250 would get quite a few perks if you just asked. Has that been tried? (Not intending to be patronizing... Serious question).

dallas
8th Sep 2007, 14:09
If we were to organise ourselves properly, the forces do represent a large economic bloc that could arrange some fantastic deals - certainly way better than the nonsense in the Forces Discount Brochure and more akin to the US forces.

The problem is we won't ever get sufficiently organised and, as is the case with many good offers, Cpl (or Capt) Miggins will try and cash-in on it either for the benefit of his non-entitled 43 extended family, or as a means of making money by re-selling whatever the discounted item is. Human nature, I'm afraid - just look at the number of people caught shipping back 80,000+ tabs a few years ago. Generally, the Americans follow the rules.

Jimlad1
8th Sep 2007, 15:04
BA does 10% off flights and holidays too.

Could be the last?
8th Sep 2007, 15:39
Another area to consider is:

RnR not starting until you are actually boots on the ground back at your home address?

Therefor removing the hassle associated with AT and all the aggression normally directed towards the crabs; this is what the Australians do!! :D

L J R
8th Sep 2007, 16:12
10% is an insult. Yes it is a discount, so no real gripes, BUT the average punter can normally get 10% by just haggling, and/or going to a competitor. A real discount in my books isn't a discount until it is at least 25%....and yes any Forced 'Discount' Brochure's price can be beaten without even mentioning the forces.

Green Hat/Yellow Hat
8th Sep 2007, 17:45
I seem to remember that after GW1 we had some pretty good deals. One of the High Street travel agents were giving pretty good discounts (on top of their normal ones), and these applied to ALL military personel, whether they had deployed on Desert Storm or not.

wiggy
8th Sep 2007, 18:10
You ladies and gents in the military would get my (and probably many others ) vote for this idea. The problem is pursuading the Accountants and bosses of the Airlines and Tour Companies to take a possible hit on the accounts sheets and a possible hit to their bonuses....
UK Plc and all that, despite your sacrifices.

Flyingskygod
8th Sep 2007, 19:02
Forces discount book has loads of discounts and offers available.

dallas
8th Sep 2007, 19:07
Forced 'Discount' Brochure's
Freudian slip or deliberate?

I often get the feeling Bloggs Ltd who wins the multi-million pound contract to supply HM Forces with bog roll feel somewhat obliged to offer 'MoD employees 2% discount on orders over 3,000 bog rolls'.

As L J R goes on to say, most apparent discounts can be beaten by shopping around, with no mention of the forces. :hmm:

Green Hat/Yellow Hat
8th Sep 2007, 19:52
Forces discount book has loads of discounts and offers available.

That's a joke!! These "Discounts", or even better offers can be found on most websites like discountvouchers.com, or just by asking for a discount, without any mention of the Forces. :ugh:

teeteringhead
9th Sep 2007, 15:15
ISTR than in the aftermath of the Malvinas unpleasantness, a 1250 would procure free entry to Raymond's Revuebar .... whatever that was........:E

P Stringfellow Esq has been known to be kind to the mil also .... and not just the Reds.......

Hueymeister
9th Sep 2007, 17:21
Could be the Last:

The Aussies are able to take their 14 days R&R during their Op tour, and with the allowances they get they can afford an awful lot more than we could!!

Ali Barber
9th Sep 2007, 17:40
Last time I tried using the "discount book" was to hire a car online. First price quote without the discount voucher number was cheaper than the price with the discount! I got it even cheaper by saying I was a "Johnny Foreigner" as i still had an old driving licence from overseas.

Hueymeister
10th Sep 2007, 10:56
Is anything being done via SSAFA or RBL etc to cater for those who have been treated and are recouperating or family thereof after a stint at Sellyoak?