PDA

View Full Version : BOAC fan

ZFT
7th Sep 2007, 11:21
Whilst clearing out my house I found this.

Vaguely recall getting it on a flight (Britannia or Comet) either late 50s or early 60s.

Can anyone date it closer?
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/ZFT/IMG_0725.jpg

Saab Dastard
7th Sep 2007, 12:13
Definitely from the pre air-con. age!! :}

SD

Skylion
7th Sep 2007, 18:48
You are right,- late 50s (Britannias and Comet 4s) or early 60s (707s) before the BOAC type face changed from the thin letters with the dots between each to the fat, no dots, which apeared after the first few Standard VC 10s. They were handed out on board, probably mainly to First Class passengers, and were much appreciated on eastern and southern routes which were all multi- stop and involved hot day and night transits. On reboarding the aircraft which had sat with doors open and ineffective ground cooling systems for half an hour plus the fans were useful as well as decorative. Once the doors closed,usually at around 40 mins after chocks on, the cabin gradually returned to a comfortable temperature. BOAC's standard transit time was 45 mins ,though longer in some places depending on sector lengths and refuelling, catering and cleaning needs. This was before the days of security checks so all transit passnegers normally disembarked and either walked or were bussed to the terminal building, given a nasty glass of squash and then re-embarked well within about 35 mins,leaving a very tight remaining ten for cockups, startup and chocks removal.

ZFT
8th Sep 2007, 01:16
Thanks for that. Seems to confirm my (limited) recollections
I’ve got an old photograph of self boarding Britannia G-APLL at the old LHR North side from about July 60. For the life of me I can’t recall the destination.
The only other candidate was a Comet 4 flight from Rome – LHR which I believe was about a year earlier. (Father worked for BOAC hence the travel).

Tercarley
11th May 2009, 18:02
I think that they were about in 1958/9. I used to have one as well!!!!

Captain Airclues
11th May 2009, 21:03
They were still being given to FC passengers on the Tokyo route in 1969. I have one that I retrieved from a FC seat after the passengers had disembarked.

Dave