View Full Version : lost your job since sept 11th?

slipper 1
13th Nov 2001, 00:58
I am curious to know just how many flight crew have lost their job in the UK since Sept 11th. Is the job situation as bad as they say it is?

Let me start!!: In the process of getting made redundant at EAAC Ltd, along with up to 20 others. 3 will retire, leaving 17 pilots actively hunting work.

Your situation ???

le loup garou
13th Nov 2001, 01:57
I'm one of approx 100, maybe slightly less at bmi.

Good luck to all who are also looking for alternative employment.

Waveman
13th Nov 2001, 02:27
Me & 91 pilot colleagues at Gill Airways. Around a dozen have found flying jobs in the eight weeks since.
And not forgetting the 200 other Gill staff.

3000psi
13th Nov 2001, 04:31
As Waveman quoted, within weeks of September 11th,I lost my Job at Gill Air together with 90 of collegues pilots ,if very unfortunate to be among the first batch laid off....I was also among the first one lookig for a job....!!!
I consider myself very lucky to be back in the Air today.....
best of luck to all those struggling to get a decent job : keep in touch.

Cheers.

Checkboard
13th Nov 2001, 07:59
800 odd pilots "stood down without pay" (but still technically employed) on Sep 14th from Ansett. Another 400 odd in the Ansett owned regionals - about half the regionals flying again, about 100 Ansett pilots working part time on the restart effort.

I'd guess similar numbers at Canadair 3000, and American Airlines was looking shakey even before the tragic events last night. :(

cisco
13th Nov 2001, 10:18
I'm sure the American Airlines will be laying more off......Canada 3000 just closed with 575 pilots. Ouch!

jafar
13th Nov 2001, 12:47
About 450 pilots will lose their job at SABENA. That is if the so called "DAT plus" makes it for more than 30 days. In the worst but not impossible case, all 1050 pilots will be on the ground. That is on top of the 60 or so from ex City Bird.
Good luck to all...

Luke SkyToddler
13th Nov 2001, 15:51
Things are bad in the training game as well ... I'm now redundant from my CPL instructing position ... plenty of guys at the two big Bournemouth schools that have gone broke in the last few weeks ... not a single instructing job to be had in the country as far as I can ascertain :(

dv8
13th Nov 2001, 16:38
One of the 90 pilots ex-Gll Airways out of work since 20-Sep
Hate it..... :mad: ...... need my flying fix
More than 3K hrs and nothing till the new year I hope

pjumbo
14th Nov 2001, 02:40
I'm one of approximately 160 pilots at Virgin Atlantic Airways to be 'below the line'! I'm now on 'unpaid leave'.

Unfortunately, all the Flight Engineers will have left by the middle of next year.

Ground crew and Office staff have also been made redundant but I have no idea how many.

A sad time for all concerned.

Lets hope there are happier times on the horizon. :rolleyes:

Payscale
14th Nov 2001, 13:22
Remember that Emriates is looking for a few good men!....with a 15 Bill. dollars new aircraft order (58 aircraft), they will be a leading airline for years to come!
Apply online at www.emirates.com (http://www.emirates.com)
good luck to you

The Prisoner
16th Nov 2001, 07:03
Look East , young man. When times are bad, flexibilty is the name of the game.There are many contract captain positions working out of Taiwan, Vietnam on A320s mainly. Of the larger carriers, Cathay are still recruiting s/Os, as well as a full flt shed over the Christmas period.Emirates are a good long term career bet, you might even enjoy working with our Muslim friends here.Freighter guys, 747 classic rated could give Dragonair or JAL (europe) a call.Biman still use contract crews, but mainly US licence I think.Air Lanka also, when they rebuild their fleet.

GeeGee
17th Nov 2001, 05:43
One of 60 odd pilots given notice at Flightline after the demise of the Swissair contract.