PDA

View Full Version : Qantas OPG xray - anyone know what it is 'actually' for?

Mr snuffaluffagus
6th Sep 2007, 22:03
G'day all,

Just wondering if anyone can give an acurate answer to what the QANTAS OPG is for. I've heard they use it as ID (like for identifying bodies?), that they want to see the quality of your teeth, and other suggestions. Could you even be knocked back if they saw something they didn't like? (Not that I think mine are all that bad).

Any correct feedback appreciated,
Thanks

Poto
7th Sep 2007, 00:41
Could you even be knocked back if they saw something they didn't like? (Not that I think mine are all that bad).

If you have met a Qantas pilot you will notice they all have fantastic teeth. I think it is a requirement. Not so much for Flight Engineers, they only need One good tooth.;)

Angle of Attack
7th Sep 2007, 02:19
Well it can be used for diagnosis of jaw and or teeth problems, but I gather they are more interested in whether you have any air cavities in your teeth particulary under existing fillings. In an explosive decompression these air pockets rapidly expand giving extreme disabling pain at best, at worst shooting your filling out like a bullet into your brain killling you on the spot, or at least removing you as an operating crewmember.

Jet_A_Knight
7th Sep 2007, 02:43
Teeth don't usually burn, if you know what i mean.

satmstr
7th Sep 2007, 04:14
ha ha Poto , Flight Engineers are not even required anymore , is that why ... lol:D

max autobrakes
9th Sep 2007, 06:16
Some manager probably had a brain storm and thought they could harvest all the gold fillings to make up Geoffs next bonus:}

K9P
9th Sep 2007, 07:08
Yes, less weight = less fuel burn = better profits= everbody wins? = manager's perspective = manager's bonus = the rest, bad luck!

QFinsider
9th Sep 2007, 07:36
Too true max....
Mind you the highly dynamic accountant, hard charging into reams of paper need fear nothing.
The most dangerous part of the day is handling the paperwork and ensuring you don't get a papercut. The accountant must also beware of predators, they must stay alert. The tim tams can be taken from under their nose at any time...

Then office stationery has its own pecking order.. Just who gets the three drawer filing cabinet??
Hardly need a dental x ray for those kind of risks. Mind you maybe they should with all the ass kissing and back biting that goes on in bulls*it castle :E

abozic
9th Sep 2007, 13:04
surely the opg is only for ID purposes..

otherwise you would have to provide the opg when you show up for the medical, you send the xray to the recruitment office...

Vic Hotel
9th Sep 2007, 22:32
I have asked this question before and the reply was for ID purposes

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
9th Sep 2007, 23:13
Dental records are usually sufficient for identifying crispy remains.

An OPG is usually used for identifying impacted teeth ( usualy Wisdom teeth ).

The OPG is definately a more accurate and thorough means of identification.

low_earth_orbit
14th Sep 2007, 06:14
yep definitely only for ID purposes :}